Opening JLS file failed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reported Opening JLS file failed

JPEG-LS plugin (JPEG_LS.dll) not loaded when I open a JLS file to view.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	jls_opening_error.png
Views:	1
Size:	3.3 KB
ID:	85304
    This occurs because of unneeded Windows version checking before calling "LoadLibraryW" function:
    Code:
    I_View32.exe 4.54
    -----------------
    00490028: call 004B78F0
    0049002D: test eax, eax
    0049002F: jne 0048FEC1 ; !!! JUMP DOES NOT HAPPENS !!!
    Last edited by FalseMaster; 03.05.2020, 10:55 PM.

What is your operating system and service pack level? I wouldn't expect fixes for WinXP in new software anymore.

Comment

The plugin is installed OK here. Is it for you when you view the installed plugins?

Zip and attach a JLS file that gives this error message.

Name:	JPEG_LS.png
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	83417
      Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

The plugin works on Windows 7 sp1. Does not work on winxp or server2k3, even if the DLL can load (listed on the plugins dialog).

After changing the jump to always, it works. Thank you for the research. 0F 85 8C FE FF FF -> E9 8D FE FF FF 90

JLS beats PNG in compression ratio and encoding speed, and is a good but forgotten format.

<rant>
        It appears result of a pointless change that brought zero functional improvement to anybody. And he changed multiple plugins this way. I can understand the willingless not to look unprofessional on these security reports. But it is more like bookkeeping or PR management...

JLS PlugIn loading bug fixed (thanks to Linhlhq, CVE-2019-17253)

But as a user of WinXP (I, you) don't expect new software to work on it. Contrary to popular wisdom, do not update applications by default unless you need some new functionality. Because they will break. New bugs will be there.
        </rant>
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by j7n View Post
          JLS beats PNG in compression ratio and encoding speed, and is a good but forgotten format.
          Of course, this will depend on the actual data in the image, but in my test the PNG image loaded much faster and was smaller on disk. Also worth noting, the JLS file shows no thumbnail in Windows Explorer, which is a good reason to drop the format.

• JLS loaded in 15 milliseconds. File size on disk 10,054 Bytes.
          • PNG loaded in 0 milliseconds. File size on disk 6,778 Bytes

Name:	Extension 128.png
Size:	6.6 KB
ID:	83421
          Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

This PNG file was totally distorted on saving as JLS. It is amazing that IrfanView still support this format at all.

Name:	Extension Button.png
Size:	4.0 KB
ID:	83422

Comment

I should have written ..on photographic or other continuous tone data (such as computer generated 3D artwork). There have been attempts at creating formats that can switch the compression mode depending on the content, such as DejaVu, FLIF, or JPEG-XL, but those have their issues, being slow or poorly support (yet). For now it is up to the user to select the right format for the type of image.

For example, eM1mp60.png compresses to 3,261,079 bytes in JLS with color decorrelation mode R-=G, B-=G.

Decoding speed is only 2.5x-3x slower than PNG and 4x slower than JPEG (measured in IrfanView). A bigger image is needed to get a reliable measurement. A 10KB image could be loading much slower and it wouldn't be perceptible, nor would the ratio matter. The speed is much better than JPEG-2000 or FLIF, both heavily promoted as replacements.

Extension 128 with alpha is indeed bigger, and the alpha doesn't get loaded in IV. But does in XnView.

Windows Explorer is not a dedicated image (video or sound) processing application, and can't be relied upon, or allowesd to dictate what formats to use. When JPEG-XL is finally delivered, it won't be supported by Windows until we update the whole of Windows with all the drawbacks that brings.
              Attached Files

Comment

Working under Win7 SP1 x64, Irfanview (32-bit) + plugin version 4.56 loaded, I am able to save the file as .jls. But when I try to open the same file, I get an error.

Name:	Clipboard01.gif
Views:	275
Size:	12.6 KB
ID:	90329

I also can't open files JLS files under Windows XP, although I get a different error message (same as in post #1 above).

On the other hand, using an older version of Irfanview and the plugin under Windows 98 (!), I was able to open a JLS file.

Is there any real reason why this plugin should only work under Windows 8 and later?

Comment

Working...
                X