No announcement yet.

F2 Rename behavior - Multiple files are being renamed when renaming a file

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solved F2 Rename behavior - Multiple files are being renamed when renaming a file

When using F2 rename function other files in a folder with related extensions are also renamed

Example:

when viewing Picture327.jpg and using F2 to rename it to New327

However, Picture327.jpeg, Picture327.png, Picture327.bmp ALSO get renamed to New327.jpeg, New327.png, New327.bmp

Is there a way to only rename only the file for the active Picture?

Very often when organizing my libraries I have folders full of randomly named pictures that I am trying to organize by renaming them to something more descriptive and the behavior of F2 leads to pictures getting renamed with incorrect information. Picture327.jpg may be a picture of a boat and Picture327.jpeg may be a picture of a car and Picture327.bmp may be a picture of a mountain F2 Rename will not allow them to be renamed to appropriate names

I hope this behavior is changable due to a setting I have not been able to find.

Any insights are very much appreciated

PS the Forum does not allow me to set my version info higher than 4.51, The F2 behavior was occurring with 4.52 and is still occuring after updating to 4.54

presumably you have activated the sidecar option:

Click image for larger version

Name:	iv_sidecar.png
Views:	1
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	83424

currently running 4.56 / 32 bit

Comment

Sidecar Option is NOT selected

Also, the Sidecar option says Delete/Copy/Move, no mention of Rename

Is there a sidecar setting for rename hiding somewhere

Comment

Sorry I chose the wrong location/screenshot. - Yes, there is another sidecar option specifically for rename.

Click image for larger version

Name:	iv_sidecar2.png
Views:	1
Size:	11.5 KB
ID:	83425

currently running 4.56 / 32 bit

Comment

Aha, it is at the bottom of the Rename Dialog Box, NOT under settings!

It must have been turned on by an errant mouse click while renaming a file

Thank You Very Very Very much for the help

Comment

Working...
          X