Viewing files - skip files with certain character in filename

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solved Viewing files - skip files with certain character in filename

Hi, I'm new to using Irfanview and am impressed with what it can do so far.

My question is: If I have a bunch of files, and view them using the arrow button (Next file in folder/list) ... and if the filename contains the character "@", then do not view this file.
    Is there a setting for this, or a script/programming which can be written.

So with the following list: file1@, file2, file3, file4@, file5@ ... Only view file2 and file3.

The short answer is "No."

Use the thumbnail view (shortcut T) to select files that you want to view, then open the slideshow dialog with them.

Or move the copies to another folder.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Make filtered filelist and feed it to IV.

Or set hidden attribute to unwanted files and uncheck "show hidden" in "browsing" settings.
      IV 4.56 32-bit

Comment

Thanks to both for responding.
        Can you please explain the following a bit more.
        Make filtered filelist and feed it to IV.

Comment

Read command line options in help
          Code:
          dir /s /b /a-d *.jpg |find /v "@">filelist
          Last edited by RottenImp; 02.05.2020, 12:34 PM.
          IV 4.56 32-bit

Comment

Thanks for sending the code.
            I read the Command Line Options in Help but there is nothing which helps me to get started.
            Where do I write this code?

Also I notice the above only deals with jpg files but I have a mixture of tif and pdf.

Comment

Here is a video tutorial on using the Command Line:

IrfanView Command Line Tutrial.wmv

To include *.pdf and *.tif files in the listings use:

dir /s /b /a-d *.jpg *.tif *.pdf |find /v "@">filelist

Just pause the video to read the instructions.

/s means include subdirectories
              /b means bare filenames, no time/date details.
              /a-d means do not list directory names
              Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 04.05.2020, 01:59 PM.
              Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Thanks for posting the video, this would have taken a while.
                I got to the point of changing directories, entering "dir" to list all files, but the above command would not work (I can look into this though as the information given so far will probably be enough to work through it).
                I actually though that all of this would be done in Irfanview and not through "cmd.exe". Would this mean I have to do this every time I go to another folder? If this is the case then it may be too much trouble since I jump from folder to folder often. If I only have to do it once, then please tell me how to send it to Irfanview.
                But if I have to re-do all the time then please ignore the request.

Comment

I don't use commandlines often because it is quite labour intensive, and one missing " or character will stop the command from working. You can change directories on one step with "cd JPEG\Nature" (or whatever the full path is).

The > sends the directory listing to a file. The filename should be in quotes if it contains spaces.

Comment

OK cheers. Please close this one out.

Comment

Working...
                    X