Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How set parameters for saving Canon 7D Mark 2 files of type CR2

My Canon 7D Mk 2 saves RAW files with the extension .CR2

When I crop a CR2 file and save the cropped image, the file extension at the present time defaults to RAW

For example, when I crop the file named 0X2A1817.CR2 and save it (adding "crop" to the prefix to indicate it's a cropped file while preserving the original file)

the saved file is named 0X2A1817 crop.RAW

and the following dialog pops up

Click image for larger version

Name:	May5.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	85307

QUESTION: How should these parameters be set ? When I accept the default shown in the dialog, the resulting image is a tiny fragment of the cropped image. How do I set the parameters so I will see all of the cropped image instead of a tiny fragment ?

You can't save Camera RAW format images with IrfanView. There is no benefit from doing that after the image is rendered, and no longer has the additional precison offered by RAW. Choose a regular raster format, such as TIFF or JPEG instead. The RAW in IrfanView has a different scope. It allows to save or open uncompressed images without any headers or in formats unknown to the software. These may occur with older video games, as an example, and have no relation to photo cameras.

Comment

Hi j7n:

You wrote:

Originally posted by j7n View Post
      You can't save Camera RAW format images with IrfanView.
      Sorry to disagree, but when I save an edited CR2 file, Irfanview sometimes (without my intervention) assigns file type RAW as the extension.

But when I try to use Irfanview to display the edited file with the RAW extension, the following dialog box pops up

Name:	May5.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	83429

If I accept the parameters in the dialog box, a tiny fraction of the edited image shows up on the screen. Fiddling with the parameters produces unexpected results. All I am asking is "How should I set these parameters to display the entire image?"

I have tried some obvious fiddles. For example, I set image width to 4000 and image height to 3000, and instead of getting a large hunk of the image, I got a wide but short window of the image (i.e. about 3/4 width of screen, about 1/10 height of screen).
      Last edited by boblite; 05.05.2020, 06:59 PM.

Comment

There are two groups of formats, both called "raw", and have little in common.

How big is the file that contains the tiny fraction of the image? I'm almost certain it does not contain a wider image than you are getting by accepting this set width of 100 pixels, although it might be taller. The row length and bit depth has to match to what is encoded in the file to get a recognizable picture at all.

IrfanView manipulates graphic data in memory as a 24-bit bitmap. The result of this gets saved to any format, including raw. The screenshot also shows that you are opening "24 BPP", which is no better than you'd get from a standard format.

To crop a raw "digital negative" you need to use specialized software made by Canon or an alternave such as Adobe Lightroom or Raw Therapee.

Edit: Are the RAW files made in IrfanView or another program?
        Last edited by j7n; 05.05.2020, 07:04 PM.

Comment

To recover an image saved as RAW, you have to set the color depth first (probably 24), then try widths through trial and error. As you approach the correct width to within a dozen pixels, or an even multiple of it, the rows will start to align one below the other and the diagonal streaks will straighten out. If the primary colors are swapped, change the header size. Last, set the height to be greater than the original. This is not critical, except if the color format chosen was Planar. Then the height could be calculated fromt the file size.

Save a RAW image of a known width to see what to expect when the width is wrong, or is double or half of the correct one.

Comment

You wrote:

Originally posted by j7n View Post
            How big is the file that contains the tiny fraction of the image? I'm almost certain it does not contain a wider image than you are getting by accepting this set width of 100 pixels, although it might be taller. The row length and bit depth has to match to what is encoded in the file to get a recognizable picture at all.
            There is huge irregularity in the RAW file sizes, as can be seen in the picture below, which shows both size of original CR2 files and the RAW files created by editing the CR2 files. When displayed using Irfanview, the gigantic 59Mb RAW file produced a teeny tiny fraction of the edited image... like maybe 1/10th x 1/10. The much smaller RAW files in the 5Mb range produced images of exactly the same size.

Name:	may5_2.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	83430

You wrote: "Edit: Are the RAW files made in IrfanView or another program?" The RAW files were created by Irfanview when I saved edited CR2 files.
            Last edited by boblite; 05.05.2020, 07:55 PM.

Comment

Duhhhh... I just now did the obvious.... uninstalled and reinstalled Irfanview. Now, CR2 files are saving as JPG files, which is just fine. Many thanks for taking time to reply to my request for info. Sorry to have not done the obvious to begin with.

Comment

You did not need to reinstall IrfanView.

The Toolbar button for Save as.. will use whatever format you chose last time. The default for a new installation is *.jpg, but that can be changed.

IrfanView cannot save CR2 files, it can only save RAW image data.

If you open a common image format like JPG or PNG, Save (Ctrl S) will offer to save the image in the same format and folder, overwriting the existing file. That is why the button does Save As.. to protect your original files from accidental changes.
                Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Working...
                X