image comment inaccessible on moving computers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

image comment inaccessible on moving computers

I often comment on jpg photos using image/information/comment. However, after moving files from a laptop with Windows 10 (2010) to W10 (2013), not only can I no longer add comments to new photos, but comments on old photos moved across are also inaccessible.

How can I add comments to jpg files now? And can I retrieve them from old photos?
    Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 07.05.2020, 04:39 PM. Reason: Fixed typos

I can imagine two reasons for this problem:
    1) you use a very old version of IrfanView on the second device. The latest version is 4.54.
    2) you don't have full access rights to IrfanView or the images. Always install IrfanView as admin.
    BTW: You saved the images after you added the comments?
    Last edited by Kuki Dent; 07.05.2020, 05:03 PM.
    Win 10/64 Home 22H2 IrfanView 4.66/64
    Hate has caused a lot of problems in this world, but it has not solved one yet. (Maya Angelou)

Comment

How did you add the comments?

Open the JPG image in IrfanView, check the image properties, and look at the comments.
      Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Thank you, but I can't even access Comment to add one yet - window says "Comment not available". How do I set Comment ON?

Comment

Do you have write permission for the folder or drive where the image is saved?

Adding comments writes the new data to the JPG file.
          Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Is METADATA.DLL installed and loading under Help > Installed Plugins...

The message "No comment available" comes up only if this plugin isn't installed. If the file is read-only, the comment dialog will say so.

Comment

Working...
            X