Irfanview Batch “Look in:” reverts to C:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Irfanview Batch “Look in:” reverts to C:

I am upgrading to a new computer running Windows 10 pro and have downloaded and installed the Irfanview v4.54 64 bit self-extracting exe (English Version) plus the IrfanView-64 Plugins self-extracting exe.

I currently run Version 4.27 on my Windows 7 pro 64 bit computer and I still have that computer running but will retire it once I get the new computer running properly. Until then I am setting up my new Windows 10 computer and comparing the performances and program settings to work just like they did on my Windows 7 computer.

I am having the following issue with 4.54:

Every time I open the File > Batch to either rename or convert files, the “Look in:” directory pointer reverts to “C:”. This means I need to search through the directory tree every time I want to perform a batch. In V4.27 it automatically opens at the last batch folder or if that folder is missing it will revert to the next higher level in the directory tree. I have tried all the settings including changing the program start folder but nothing works.

Why is this happening? Is this a bug? Should it not open at the directory of the last conversion like your older versions do?

Looking into the .ini files:

1. When I look in the .ini file in V4.54 I see that the “OpenDir=.......” under the “[Batch]” section heading has the correct folder name but it seems that Irfanview is ignoring it.

2. Comparing the ini files from 4.27 to 4.54, I find that in 4.27 there is a section called "[Open]" that holds the directory “OpenDir=......” that is put into the “Look in:” directory pointer. In 4.54 there is no "[Open]" section in the ini.

3. Just as an aside the “Output folder for result files:” in the batch conversion window does reflect the correct output folder that is listed in the “OutputPath=......” in the “[Batch]” section. This is true for 4.27 as well as 4.54

Try this option in Options/ Settings:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	iv_batch_folder.png
Views:	1
Size:	151.6 KB
ID:	83431

currently running 4.56 / 32 bit

Comment

Originally posted by jazzman View Post
      Try this option in Options/ Settings:
      [ATTACH=CONFIG]5834[/ATTACH]
      Ok thanks Jazzman, this kind of works. I didn't have to set that in the older version V4.27 in order to get the last used folder and if the folder was missing it would revert to the higher level in the directory tree.

The problem with this solution is that if the last used batch folder path is no longer valid, the "Look in:...." reverts to C:/Windows/System32

So this is still an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by TJTex View Post
        The problem with this solution is that if the last used batch folder path is no longer valid, the "Look in:...." reverts to C:/Windows/System32

So this is still an issue.
        Here, it reverts to My Pictures, which was the last used folder for File, Open.

Try opening a file from the parent folder of the subfolders that you're processing before running the batch process and deleting the processed folder.
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

I may be wrong, but if my memory serves me right, in older versions of IV, the "Look in" section of the dialog was implemented by Irfan himself. At some point (possibly in response to a user request for those icons for Desktop, Library, etc.) Irfan changed this and the dialog is now calling a windows service. What the service does when handed a non-existent path likely is not in the power of Irfan.

Just my 2 cents :/
          Last edited by jazzman; 09.05.2020, 08:43 AM.

currently running 4.56 / 32 bit

Comment

Working...
          X