Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Upgrade jpeg decompression library to Mango?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forwarded Upgrade jpeg decompression library to Mango?

Seems to have significant improvement over libjpg-turbo, especially with files that have restart markers.

Possibly as a plugin if it's not likely to be in mainline?

It's open source on github,https://github.com/t0rakka/mango if you don't want to hit the author's blog.
    Not me or mine, just looking for faster image loading. I'm cursed with a mac from work which I end up using as my main pc, so running this in wine64 anyway. It's hard for me to figure out where the slowness comes from (as compared to using a windows machine).
    First suspects were the SMB share handling on OSX (which seems far slower than the PC on the same network, but transfer speeds seem comparable) Did what I could there, but was looking for more, and I ran into that library.

anyhow, thanks for the consideration.

It is a non-issue for me. Even with a 16,000 x 16,000 pixel NASA Helix Nebula Hubble image it opens in 1,719 milliseconds on 32-bit IrfanView, and 1390 milliseconds in IrfanView 64-bit. This is on six-year hardware without a dedicated graphics card.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Large Image Info.png
Views:	1
Size:	15.3 KB
ID:	83432

By all means forward your feature request to Irfan Skiljan (see Help, About IrfanView for his email). If someone writes a plugin, he may include it. He has done that before to speed up JPG loading.

Version 4.30

(Release date: 2011-06-20)
    • Faster JPG loading! (Thanks to D. R. Commander for libjpeg-turbo)
    Let us know what he says and I will update the thread.
    Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 13.05.2020, 06:52 PM.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Sure, it's not slow exactly, especially when talking about one image. The problem (or perhaps the payoff) is when going through many images. If it takes a second per image, that becomes rather cumbersome to look through even a couple of hundred images. Anyhow, thanks for the suggestions, I've sent email there as well.

Comment

JPEG is one of the fastest image formats there is apart from uncompressed or RLE. A slow computer will be unable to handle most tasks with modern bloated software, the web, and next generation image formats before there is an appreciable issue with JPEG.

My concern with adding a specialized decoder is that it will probably raise the required OS version, the dependencies for accessing the GPU might make it not work on older systems, and increase the application's size. And it is old systems that actually benefit from the performance boost.

If your images are encoded as Progressive, you can transform them to Baseline and double the raw decoding speed (and I find that they display quicker in some applications that attempt to show the low resolution scans). The difference in compression ratio is a percent or two.

Comment

It doesn't seem to be specialized, just highly optimized. It's cross platform (hardware wise, not just OS) and doesn't seem to use the GPU, though the blog does show a comparison the nvidia one that does use the GPU.

Comment

Working...
          X