Navigation bug when viewing .fits files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

no bug Navigation bug when viewing .fits files

Running the x64 bit version, downloaded today, along with the full plugins install also downloaded today.

It's possible that is a PEBKAK error, but to me it looks like a bug: When I am viewing a directory full of .fits files, approx 100 or so, the arrow keys that I expect would move me from one image to the next do not work. I open the first file via the file | open, and it displays just fine. But neither the arrow keys, nor the navigation arrows on the toolbar move me to the next image in the directory. Instead I get a notice that this is the last file in the folder. Apparently it's not recognizing .fits as valid image files in all sections of the code.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Go to Settings, Extensions, and make sure the |FITS| extension is included in the custom file types for browsing.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Thanks! That fixed it. Actually, I had to make it ".fit" instead of ".fits", but it works now.

Comment

If the extensions are actually *.fits and not *.fit then it should have worked before. If that is the case, then do send a bug report to Irfan Skiljan (see Help, About IrfanView for his email).

I don't have any *.fits files or *.fit files, so an unable to test this.

I assume that it not a bug, until you can confirm otherwise.
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
          If the extensions are actually *.fits and not *.fit then it should have worked before. If that is the case, then do send a bug report to Irfan Skiljan (see Help, About IrfanView for his email).

I don't have any *.fits files or *.fit files, so an unable to test this.

I assume that it not a bug, until you can confirm otherwise.
          NOT a bug (at least not in Ifranview); the files' extension was .fit, not .fits. I don't know if both of those are considered to be valid or not for that file format, but that's not your bug.

Comment

It seems that *.fits, *.fit, and *.fts are all valid extensions for the Flexible Image Transport System file format, but I suppose that *.fits is the best to use. Nowadays, the *.fit extension is used for fitness training apps.

Some might call it a bug, but it is easy for users to fix themselves if they have some *.fits files with different extensions.

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
              It seems that *.fits, *.fit, and *.fts are all valid extensions for the Flexible Image Transport System file format, but I suppose that *.fits is the best to use. Nowadays, the *.fit extension is used for fitness training apps.

Some might call it a bug, but it is easy for users to fix themselves if they have some *.fits files with different extensions.
              I'd actually call it more of a bug in the program that's generating the files, because IV would have no way of know if the file is an image file, or one from my Garmin device. At least not without opening the file and examining its contents.

Comment

IrfanView can open *.JPG images or *.JPEG images. Both are accepted extensions for those image types. I don't know enough about FITS files to say what the accepted standard as, but it seems likely that *.fit is also regarded as acceptable.

If it is a bug in IrfanView, it's not worth fixing, unless the majority of FITS programs use the *.fit extension and not *.fits. Maybe the Garmin device is a bit old, and so not up-to-date with current usage?

Comment

Working...
                X