Problems using scanner interface

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problems using scanner interface

I have been using IrfanView for many years without problems. I used an older version for a long time but recently decided to upgrade to the latest version 4.54 64bit under Windows 10. I often use it for scanning in pages from a TWAIN source and cleaning up the scanned pages before saving them. I've encountered a couple of problems that I've never seen before in the previous versions:

1 Once I enter the Acquire Batch scanning ... function a little icon called Irfanview Stub Loader appears on the taskbar. I've no idea what that's all about but thought nothing of it. However when I then exit Irfanview, while the main app icon disappears from taskbar as expected, the mysterious Irfanview Stub Loader icon stays and I can't find a way of getting rid of it. The problem then is, if I restart Irfanview and go back to Acquire Batch scanning ..., it refuses to allow me to use the scanner because it says Irfanview is still busy using the scanner from the previous session. It seems it's that Stub Loader stuck in the taskbar which won't go away upon exiting IrfanView. I have to log out and back in again to get rid of the nuisance Stub Loader. Is there an easier way that will automatically remove the Stub Loader when I exit IrfanView so that I can have a second scanning session?

2 After scanning in a page it often needs minor tweeks to get rid of marks on the page such as a line where the paper has been folded. In the past I've always cleaned such marks up by creating a second (empty) IrfanView white image from where I copy a small segment to paste over the bits in the scanned image I want cleaned up. However, although I've been doing this for years with the older versions, the pasting over of the white segment no longer works. Can someone advise me what's changed and how do I copy my cleaup clips onto the scanned page?
    Last edited by Ojos; 26.05.2020, 11:39 PM.

Try using 32-bit IrfanView.

I believe you may find that it won't need to run the stub loader.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
      Try using 32-bit IrfanView.

I believe you may find that it won't need to run the stub loader.
      I have a Windows 10 64-bit system and that's why I installed that version. What is this stub loader? I tried searching the IrfanView Help but I could find no reference to it at all. What exactly is this nuisance icon which won't go away and appears to perform no function at all for me? As it is not mentioned in the IrfanView Help I have no idea what it is for and how to kill it off. I don't want to spend time uninstalling/reinstalling without a guarantee that I won't be pestered by this nuisance stub loader.

Comment

You do not need to uninstall the 64-bit version. Just install the 32-bit version as well, and use that as your default unless you need to open large files. Then you won’t see the stub-loader, which is (I believe) used by the 64-bit version to run 32-bit plugins.

From the FAQ on IrfanView.com
        64-bit will be faster for some operations due to supporting more RAM.
        Advantages of IrfanView 32-bit over 64-bit version:

• Runs on a 32-bit and 64-bit Windows
        • Loads all files/images for normal needs (max. RAM size is about 1.3 GB)
        • Needs less disc space
        • All PlugIns will work: not all PlugIns are ported (yet) to 64-bit (like OCR) and some 32-bit PlugIns must be still used in the 64-bit version, some with limitations (see the "Plugins32" folder)
        • Some old 32-bit PlugIns (like RIOT and Adobe 8BF PlugIn) work only in compatibility mode in IrfanView-64
        • Command line options for scanning (/scan etc.) work only in 32-bit (because no 64-bit TWAIN drivers)
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
          You do not need to uninstall the 64-bit version. Just install the 32-bit version as well, and use that as your default unless you need to open large files. Then you won’t see the stub-loader, which is (I believe) used by the 64-bit version to run 32-bit plugins.
          I don't particularly want to have two versions of IrfanView installed. It seems to me that the serious problem I've documented with the stub loader interference in my scanning activity is a bug in IrfanView. Surely the appropriate thing is to report it to the developer to get it fixed?.

Comment

Feel free to report it to Irfan Skiljan. This is a user-to-user support forum.

Comment

Working...
            X