Gif Playback Speed Issues ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gif Playback Speed Issues ...

Over the last few months I've experienced issues when opening gifs. The playback is far faster than it should be. I've uninstalled Irfanview and reinstalled with no effect. I'd appreciate any advice on a fix.

Thanks.

Irfanview 64 bit
    File Version 4.54.0.0

In my experience, this is always a bug in the GIF.

Use Ctrl+Shift+Minus/Plus to control the speed. G to stop/start. PageDown/Up to view individual frames.

Use another program to edit animations to fix them.

Attach a file if you want others to confirm that the issue is not with IrfanView.

Click image for larger version

Name:	readmap.gif
Views:	2
Size:	17.2 KB
ID:	83438
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

If literally any other image browser is capable of playing back a gif at its proper speed, requiring me to use another image viewer for this one image format, then the issue is with Irfanview's insistence on using a GIF feature that's obviously more often broken than not. 90% of my GIFs play too fast. It's ridiculous that it has been SEVEN years and there has been absolutely nothing done to fix this issue that is definitely WITH Irfanview!

Comment

Did you send an image with a bug report to Irfan Skiljan?
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

I've started having this issue with gifs refusing to play back at their proper speeds en masse seven years (three computers and many Windows versions) ago in Irfanview specifically, and I've got the same kind of "not my fault" response out of Irfan initially, that there should be an embedded feature in GIFs to set their timing, and IrfanView is using that, so I left it at that, but the issue has never gone away, it's actually gotten worse since. If almost nobody cares to set these timings properly, why do you even keep adhering to it?

Look, I'm not asking you to modify a popular software used by a huge amount of people to suit my own individual tastes, I'm only asking you to make the software lenient - like other software already is - to a large amount of content found all over the internet that doesn't properly conform with standards. I know that this is somewhat belated with the ever more prominent use of the webp format, I just want to keep using IrfanView as my go-to software for images, current and legacy alike, instead of having to substitute it in specific scenarios with something that does the same thing, but actually works as intended, regardless how it's being achieved under the hood.

You know why gifs play at an improper speed, you've explained the very reason above. I do not need to provide a sample for you to tell me that this gif I'm submitting, probably with all the others have the same issue you already mentioned. Moreover, I feel that's like asking someone who called insurance to provide a vial of water to prove they're having a flood. The only thing that I do not know is how for example FastStone manages to play "improperly timed" and "properly timed" gifs alike in a way, that both gifs seem properly timed and why IrfanView can't use the same strategy. 31 thousand gifs collected through 23 years won't fix themselves by you repeating to me what's wrong with them, IrfanView needs to play them at a proper pace, like other image viewers already do, how that is being achieved is not up to me, the end user.
          Last edited by 1355970; 21.02.2021, 07:21 PM. Reason: clarification

Comment

It not my problem; I did not create the software. This is a user-to-user forum. Irfan Skiljan decides if it is worth breaking standards to suit broken GIF images (if that is indeed what the issue is). I leave it to others to send bug reports if an issue bugs them. I suspect that you would get the same kind of response if you tried again, as it is indeed not his fault.

In my opinion, software developers should follow standards. If software creates defective files, people should switch to a better application or just workaround issues.

Comment

I've seen GIFs with zero delay between the frames. This results in different playback speed in different programs. IrfanView uses the true delay value, so in this case, it plays the animation as fast as possible. After all, in GIF there should be always non zero delay value. Zero is invalid.
              Check your GIFs, if there are sensible delay values between the frames.
              My system: IrfanView 4.62 64bit, Windows 10 22H2, Intel Core i5-3570, 16GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB

Comment

Working...
              X