Don't delete read-only files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forwarded Don't delete read-only files

It's easy to make a mistake when switching between multiple pictures.

"Ask me before deleting" works against accidentally pressing "del", but when I want to delete some file, I automatically agree.

I can get a recently deleted file out of the recycle bin, but only if i know that it is there (wrong file freshly deleted). I have no habit of checking the RB before emptying.

Also recycle bin is broken in W7: files from subst disks don't goes there (it works in XP!).
    Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 28.05.2020, 08:42 AM. Reason: Fixed language
    IV 4.56 32-bit

This is nothing to do with IrfanView.

Windows should warn before deleting a read-only file. It doesn't, but perhaps there is a setting somewhere in Windows?
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
      This is nothing to do with IrfanView.
      Really? It seems that you did not know that IV can delete files.

Windows should warn before deleting a read-only file. It doesn't, but perhaps there is a setting somewhere in Windows?
      Can Windows prevent IV from removing the RO attribute before deleting?
      IV 4.56 32-bit

Comment

Ask me before deleting files only works if that warning is enabled in the Recycle Bin Properties. Deletion of files is controlled by Windows, not by IrfanView. IrfanView does not remove the read-only attribute before asking Windows to send a file to the Recycle Bin.

The read-only attribute is not removed when Windows moves a file to the Recycle Bin, and if the file is restored from the Recycle Bin, the read-only attribute remains.

If you permanently delete a file with read-only attribute, it still gets deleted without going to the Recycle Bin.
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
          Ask me before deleting files only works if that warning is enabled in the Recycle Bin Properties.
          I disabled warning in RB settings and disabled deleting in RB in IV settings - IV shows warning.

Deletion of files is controlled by Windows, not by IrfanView.
          You want to say that windows deleting pictures not because of the order from IV?

IrfanView does not remove the read-only attribute before asking Windows to send a file to the Recycle Bin.
          IrfanView remove the read-only attribute even before showing warning. I just checked that.
          IV 4.56 32-bit

Comment

I can only suggest forwarding your request to Irfan Skiljan, and see what he says. Since it does remove the read-only attribute (Windows Explorer does not), then it could refuse to delete such files, even if you tell it to, and offer you a second chance.

Personally, I hate superfluous warnings. If you don't want to delete it, then heed the warning.

Comment

I've just tested it and yes, IV deletes files with read-only attribute. I consider it a severe bug and I suggest RottenImp to send a bug report to Irfan Skiljan.
              Win 10/64 Home 22H2 IrfanView 4.66/64
              Hate has caused a lot of problems in this world, but it has not solved one yet. (Maya Angelou)

Comment

I wrote to him before creating this topic and he answered "I need more users with same wish." Someone else want this option?
                IV 4.56 32-bit

Comment

Working...
                X