Thread: Don't delete read-only files

IV Beginner
    OS
    64-bit Win 7 Ultimate/Enterprise SP1
    CPU Cores

Default Don't delete read-only files

It's easy to make a mistake when switching between multiple pictures.

"Ask me before deleting" works against accidentally pressing "del", but when I want to delete some file, I automatically agree.

I can get a recently deleted file out of the recycle bin, but only if i know that it is there (wrong file freshly deleted). I have no habit of checking the RB before emptying.

Also recycle bin is broken in W7: files from subst disks don't goes there (it works in XP!).
    Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 28.05.2020 at 07:42 AM. Reason: Fixed language
    IV 4.54 32-bit

Moderator Enterprise User Bhikkhu Pesala's Avatar
    OS
    64-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores

This is nothing to do with IrfanView.

Windows should warn before deleting a read-only file. It doesn't, but perhaps there is a setting somewhere in Windows?

IV Beginner
    OS
    CPU Cores

Quote Originally Posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
    This is nothing to do with IrfanView.
    Really? It seems that you did not know that IV can delete files.

Windows should warn before deleting a read-only file. It doesn't, but perhaps there is a setting somewhere in Windows?
    Can Windows prevent IV from removing the RO attribute before deleting?
    IV 4.54 32-bit

OS
    64-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores

Ask me before deleting files only works if that warning is enabled in the Recycle Bin Properties. Deletion of files is controlled by Windows, not by IrfanView. IrfanView does not remove the read-only attribute before asking Windows to send a file to the Recycle Bin.

The read-only attribute is not removed when Windows moves a file to the Recycle Bin, and if the file is restored from the Recycle Bin, the read-only attribute remains.

If you permanently delete a file with read-only attribute, it still gets deleted without going to the Recycle Bin.

IV Beginner
    OS
    CPU Cores

Quote Originally Posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
    Ask me before deleting files only works if that warning is enabled in the Recycle Bin Properties.
    I disabled warning in RB settings and disabled deleting in RB in IV settings - IV shows warning.

Deletion of files is controlled by Windows, not by IrfanView.
    You want to say that windows deleting pictures not because of the order from IV?

IrfanView does not remove the read-only attribute before asking Windows to send a file to the Recycle Bin.
    IrfanView remove the read-only attribute even before showing warning. I just checked that.
    IV 4.54 32-bit

OS
    64-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores

I can only suggest forwarding your request to Irfan Skiljan, and see what he says. Since it does remove the read-only attribute (Windows Explorer does not), then it could refuse to delete such files, even if you tell it to, and offer you a second chance.

Personally, I hate superfluous warnings. If you don't want to delete it, then heed the warning.

Version
    IrfanView 4.51
    OS
    64-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores

I've just tested it and yes, IV deletes files with read-only attribute. I consider it a severe bug and I suggest RottenImp to send a bug report to Irfan Skiljan.
    Win 10/64 Home v1909 IrfanView 4.54/32
    Hate has caused a lot of problems in this world, but it has not solved one yet. (Maya Angelou)

IV Beginner
    OS
    CPU Cores

I wrote to him before creating this topic and he answered "I need more users with same wish." Someone else want this option?
    IV 4.54 32-bit

Thread Information