• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Confirmed Save for Web REPLACE .JPG/.JPEG bug

Version 4.54 (newest)

I opened a file with a .jpeg extension.
    For example, file20.JPEG.
    Modified it and used Save for Web.

It asked if I wanted to replace file20.JPG.

I didn't see that it had a different extension.
    So I clicked YES and it overwrote a file called file20.JPG.

Luckily I was able to recover file20.jpg.

(but ONLY because I had recently worked on it and saved it --
    otherwise, I would have not known what that file was and it would have been lost)

This is what happened in my tests:

1. I copied a JPG image of 15.5 Kbytes
    2. I renamed the copy with a *.jpeg extension
    3. I opened the *.jpeg copied
    4. I saved it for the web, setting a file size of 10Kbytes, I got a warning that *.jpg would be overwritten.
    5. The file was saved with a file size of 5.88 Kbytes
    6. The original *.jpeg file that I had opened remained unchanged at 15.5 Kbytes

So, to summarise: the bug is that a *.jpeg when saved overwrites a *.jpg with the same filename. Saving for web is not relevant here. The result is the same if one disables Save for web and uses the compression slider instead.

Please send a bug report to Irfan Skiljan and let us know what he says.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

I thought I was doing a bug report by doing this.

Comment

Please read the sticking thread on Reporting Bugs
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Sent him an e-mail.

This is a very clunky interface and process.

Comment

No doubt a lot of users manage to send bug reports without joining this forum.

Think about it though. One million users and a sole developer. How many reports can he deal with.

At least if you post here first, others can test it first to make sure it is a bug, and not something else. Or we can tell you that the bug has already been fixed in a later version, or already reported, and is not a bug, or will be fixed later.

The forum is for you to use or not, as you wish. I don't have time to report every bug reported here. This is not my day job, and other helpers visit a lot less than I do. At least once a day I check in to see if I can help.

So, please do as I ask and let us know the result.

Comment

Working...
            X