Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Full screen and Windowed discrepancies

Hi.

I have just started using Irfanview today as a fast, full screen, image viewer for Windows Explorer as the stock Windows Photo Viewer did not satisfy.

Irfanview is great, for the most part - very fast to load and functionality seems very, very good.

1. However, one thing I cannot seem to find the options to work around are for the mouse buttons (L/R) to work the same way in fullscreen mode as when in windowed mode. As I always open the images in full screen mode, but then want to use the right button context menu to edit, or the left button to select/zoom. Having the buttons scroll through images in full screen is pointless for me - I use the scroll wheel for that. I basically want uniformity in functionality, if that is possible?

2. Also, is it possible to change the functionality of the left button from select-and-zoom to click-and-drag when the image is bigger than the screen? So I could select-and-zoom several times maybe, but as soon as the image was in a "scrollable" state, then my left click functionality would change.

Issue 1 is very important to me - I find myself swearing at the inconsistent functionality! Issue 2 is a personal preference and I realise may simply not be possible, or desirable, for everyone.

Thanks in advance.

1. There are no toolbar buttons in fullscreen mode, so using the mouse L/R buttons is the most convenient way to go to the next picture. Windowed mode for editing, and Fullscreen mode is just for viewing. Some users just like to chill and look at pictures without using the keyboard at all.
    2. RMB click and drag will pan the picture.

You will soon adjust to the way that IrfanView works, but it is not like other software. Not many other programs use single-key shortcuts, for example. It has been around a very long time.

Check out the Thumbnail mode (shortcut T), and view images fullscreen on a second monitor if you have one.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Hmmm, it's sounding like a "like it or lump it" kind of thing!

L/R buttons are no more convenient than my scroll wheel. You talk about not using the KB - that's exactly WHY I want my mouse buttons to do something different from the scroll wheel! It's pointless to have them doing the same thing as other mouse hardware options as, ironically, it then forces me to use the KB! I'm not suggesting this should be default behaviour, but it would have been nice to have had it as an option. I am only using Irfanview for image viewing - whether full screen or windowed and would have liked consistency in the UI in both modes.

Not sure you got my point about click and drag, or I'm missing an option. In full screen you can set either button to click and drag when the image is bigger than the screen, but that doesn't work in windowed mode. Indeed, I wouldn't want RMB to do this anyway in windowed as I'd want RMB to bring up the context menu.

I'm also looking at Faststone and it may be it just suits me better as it's more configurable in these specific ways (although I still can't do everything I want.) The only tool I've found that works exactly as I want is ACDSee, but it takes a criminally long time to open so is of absolutely no use as a fast image viewer.

Thanks for the quick reply anyway.

Comment

No tool is perfect - just noticed that Irfanview does something nice (i.e what I want!) when using zoom and fitting small images to screen - on fit, it smoothes, but when I manually zoom, it doesn't smooth, so I can see the pixels properly. This is good and, for example, Faststone always smoothes - not what I want.

It's so difficult to find anything that does everything MY WAY!

Comment

L/R buttons are way more convenient if you don't have a scroll-wheel. Not that I have ever had to use a laptop, but a lot people do.

I have lost count of the number of users complaining how something is not intuitive just because some new software they are trying out is not exactly like their old software. You will get used to IrfanView. Like FastStone Viewer, it has an option to smooth images or not. See the View Menu, Display Options.
          Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 03.06.2020, 03:26 PM.
          Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Yes, more convenient if you don't have a mouse, of course. But, given there is functionality offered for scroll wheels, let's assume that some people have them - in which case duplicated functionality is simply a waste. Some people like scroll wheels for scrolling up and down, some for prev/next, some for zoom. In an ideal tool they're all catered for. I get that Irfanview is a lightweight product so maybe it's just not possible while keeping its footprint small, I dunno.

However, I still use ACDSee as my main tool (when I can be bothered waiting a week for it to load) so I just wanted something to work roughly the same so I don't get annoyed everytime I forget which tool I'm in. Irfanview is great, don't get me wrong, I just wish I could make it work better for me.

Comment

Working...
            X