Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reported Problem with 'Open with IrfanView' context menu item in Windows 10

good evening, everybody

I am an italian user of irfanView (forgive my imperfect English)
    After installing windows 10 (2004-64bit) I installed irfanView 4.54 64-bit

I also installed the x64bit plugins(4.54) and the shell menu plugins, but I get an error if I try to open a file with the right button from the context menu.

Click image for larger version

Name:	xthzWxv.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	85314

If I click on the item 'open with irfanView' I get this error:

Click image for larger version

Name:	7B48Cqa.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	85315

I didn't touch anything in Irfan's settings...

How can I fix it?
    Thank you very much
    Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 11.06.2020, 07:54 AM. Reason: Fixed not perfect English. Added images inline.

The error message says, for the benefit of those who don't know Italian:

The file does not have an associated app to perform the action. Install an app, if it is already installed, create an association on the app's default settings page.
    To associate image types with IrfanView, run IrfanView as an Administrator, (right-click on i_view64.exe) and set the associations in Settings, Extensions.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Thank you very much for your answer

Iranview is already my default editor.

I have already done what you advised me even before writing but without resolving.

The file in question (.jpeg) is already associated with Irfan, so I don't understand why I get the error.

Excuse me if I wrote before editing my profile

https://imgur.com/KamAuxD
      Last edited by toby900; 11.06.2020, 10:12 AM.

Comment

Did you do it while running IrfanView as Admin? I don't see the problem here. Image open in 32-bit or 64-bit IrfanView, whichever version I select from the Open with menu. Initially, *.jpeg files did not list 64-bit IrfanView as an option, so I had to open the More Apps. menu to select it. Now it works every time. Double-click opens both *.jpg and *.jpeg in the 32-bit version.

Look in Windows Settings, Apps, Default Apps, Photo Viewer.
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Yes, I used Irfanview as an admin.

but what I don't understand is the item in the context menu, which if I try to use it gives me an error

irfanview is the default program.
          also to open the .jpeg files

i know how to use the pc i'm not a beginner. so i would like to understand why an excellent program like irfan gives me this error and how to fix it.

Some other user has had the same problem as me or am I the only one?
          Last edited by toby900; 11.06.2020, 11:55 AM.

Comment

You're not alone. A search for "associations" will find more threads.

This one from 2017 for example.

If you have already tried all the usual methods such as reinstalling and going into Windows settings, then send a bug report to Irfan Skiljan, and let us know what he says so I can update the thread's status. I am not able to reproduce the issue, and don't know what else to suggest.

I will move this thread to Bug Reports.

Comment

Thanks anyway for your help.

I hope that this problem will not recur in future versions.

To stay on topic, I found a solution:

open regedit and remove

Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\shell - openwithirfanview -

After activate the same option from the irfan menu as admin
              Last edited by toby900; 11.06.2020, 06:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X