Rotation and EXIF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rotation and EXIF

I have been happily viewing my images with IrfanView for many years.

I have several images created with a digital camera or my iPhone. All images are displayed with the correct orientation (portrait or landscape) when viewed in the HTML code. The HTML code is wrapped inside a brief PHP code to enable password protection, and the PHP code is uploaded to my Web site along with the images.

On my Web site using the PHP file, the orientation is incorrect (portrait or landscape) for some of the images. The results differ depending on the browser -- Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome or Safari, for both iPhone or digital camera images.

A PHP user has advised me not use EXIF data. The suggestion is to load them into an image editor and to have it fix the orientation for me so that orientation will be correct for all browsers and camera device.

Is IrfanView capable of removing EXIF data from a JPG image? When I view a JPG image, the lower left hand corner shows IPTC information, not EXIF information as stated in the HELP page.

Please help me straighten out my confusion about how to use IrfanView to ensure correct orientation of images in the PHP file. Your help will be much appreciated.

Thank you

spruce18b

See the Save as JPG dialog. The options to strip Exif and IPTC data are there.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Thank you for replying to my query about rotation.

I have attached an image of an Unknown Soldier made in October 2019 with a digital camera. It is shown in attachment DSC05842.JPG.

It was uploaded to the Internet and viewed as one of several images in a PHP file.

I saved the image in its correct portrait orientation using IrfanView. Correct orientation as portrait occurs when the image is viewed with Firefox and Chrome. Incorrect orientation as landscape occurs in Safari and Internet Explorer.

I am using IrfanView Version 4.53 - 64 bit with Windows 10. The Save-as JPG dialog does not show any option to strip Exif and IPTC attributes. The Information drop down menu under Image shows both the Exif and IPTC settings, and the Exif display shows an orientation of top left but no option to change the orientation setting.

There are also two images made with an iPhone that appear with incorrect orientation after uploading. Although the save file with original date/time is unchecked, these files are not saved with the current date, July 18 2020, but with the original date in November 2019.

Your advice is much appreciated.

The JPEG/GIF menu is shown in attachment IfanSaveAsJPG.jpg.

Thank you

spruce18b
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 19.07.2020, 02:27 PM. Reason: Fixed typos

Comment

IrfanView 4.54 is the latest version. Upgrading is recommended, but won't solve fix the error.

You have saved the image with EXIF data. If you save it again with "Keep original EXIF data (if JPG to JPG)" unchecked, then the EXIF data will be stripped.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05842.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	126.4 KB
ID:	83478
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Thank you for your patience in getting my rotation troubles solved.

The two images made with an iPhone are correctly shown in portrait notation in Internet Explorer (Windows 10) and Safari (MacBook Air), but they remain in landscape orientation in Firefox and Chrome (both Windows 10). I saved these two images with original Exif data unchecked. and the dates for them were correctly shown with the current date, July 20, indicating that they are freshly modified. I looked at them in the destination panel of my uploading software (WS_FTP) to confirm their correct orientation.

Am I missing something? Is there a special setting for viewing uploaded iPhone images with Firefox and Chrome? An adviser on the PHP forum denies that PHP code requires a special parameter for these browsers.

Your advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

spruce18b

Comment

Working...
          X