Thumbnail does not match image

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thumbnail does not match image

When Irfanview Thumbnail is launched sometimes I find that the thumbnail does not represent the image accurately.
    For example the thumbnail clearly shows a vertical format image but when I double click on the thumb to show the image, the image is landscaped and cut short.

Other times the thumbnail shows a larger image with more details when the actual image has already been cropped.

I look at the JPEG image file format on wikipedia and it the file format allows an embedded thumbnail to be stored for quick access.

It looks like irfanview is showing this thumbnail for quick access, which is good for user experience, but can I suggest the code be quickly revised to check whether the embeded thumbnail image aspect ratio matches the actual image, if it matches, then use the embedded thumbnail, otherwise, use a Resample or Resize function on the actual image to show the thumbnail.

I am sure other users have noticed this behaviour before, yes?

Please see the Thumbnail Options:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Thumbnail Options.png
Views:	1
Size:	21.8 KB
ID:	83479
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Thanks for your reply.

I've got that selected which speeds up the thumbnail loading. If the selection is cleared then irfanview will choose the slower resize/resample method for each image.

My suggestion still stands:
      - check whether the exif embeded thumbnail aspect ratio matches the actual image, if it matches, then use the embedded thumbnail, otherwise, assume the thumbnail will *NOT* show an accurate image and use a Resample or Resize function on the actual image to show the thumbnail.

Comment

Working...
      X