View images by folder order and sort by date modified

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

View images by folder order and sort by date modified

Hello. I like your program, however, the only issue I'm having with it is that it doesn't automatically sort the images the way they are sorted in the folder.
    I have thousands of images, and some folders I want to browse by date, others by name or type...Windows Photo Viewer automatically lets me browse the images in the folder order, but IrfanView needs me to specify an order every time I want to use a different order.
    So to clarify, if I open an image in IrfanView, and then move to the next/previous one, it should be in the same order as the folder the image is in, if someone wishes to do so.

That way, it could also sort by date modified which would be great!

It could be a simple addition to the current "Sort File List"....-> Sort by Date Modified / Sort by Folder Order

It would be great if you could implement that. Thanks!

I know about IrfanViewThumbnail, but I don't find it personally convenient to open an external program when browsing images.
    Last edited by Karla1996; 24.07.2020, 02:26 AM.

If you select the "No Sort" option that should do what you want, i.e. use the sort order used by Windows Explorer.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sort Order.png
Views:	1
Size:	3.5 KB
ID:	83480
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Sadly "no sort" still shows the images sorted by name (or some random order I don't quite understand) in IrfanView, even though the folder is set to "date modified". There's definitely no way to show images by "date modified" in IrfanView, neither does it copy any of my folder orders that use this setting.

And I don't know why my thread was moved. But if you guys don't want this suggestion that's fine too. Thanks anyway.
      Last edited by Karla1996; 24.07.2020, 10:03 AM.

Comment

IrfanView has no knowledge about the sort order in Windows Explorer. It just uses the Windows operating system (OS) to work as an alternate and IMHO much better image viewer.

You must use the options that IV offers.

The Windows Photo Viewer, however, is part of the Windows OS and may be able to use the same setting as Explorer.
        Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 24.07.2020, 10:11 PM. Reason: Fixed typos
        Win 10/64 Home 22H2 IrfanView 4.66/64
        Hate has caused a lot of problems in this world, but it has not solved one yet. (Maya Angelou)

Comment

Originally posted by Karla1996 View Post
          Hello. I like your program, however, the only issue I'm having with it is that it doesn't automatically sort the images the way they are sorted in the folder.
          I have thousands of images, and some folders I want to browse by date, others by name or type...Windows Photo Viewer automatically lets me browse the images in the folder order, but IrfanView needs me to specify an order every time I want to use a different order.
          So to clarify, if I open an image in IrfanView, and then move to the next/previous one, it should be in the same order as the folder the image is in, if someone wishes to do so.

That way, it could also sort by date modified which would be great!

It could be a simple addition to the current "Sort File List"....-> Sort by Date Modified / Sort by Folder Order

It would be great if you could implement that. Thanks!

I know about IrfanViewThumbnail, but I don't find it personally convenient to open an external program when browsing images.
          I like this idea. I would love to have the same functionality for browsing my photos

Comment

Working...
          X