Thread: After update from windows 7 to windows 10, can no longer play webm video

Default After update from windows 7 to windows 10, can no longer play webm video

I've used irfanview for years and I've never had a problem until recently. I used Windows 7 until recently where I was forced to "upgrade" to windows 10, and its causing some probelms for me.

Basically, anytime I try to play webm files (well any video really), they only show as a black screen and plays the audio. I've uninstalled irfranview and reinstalled it with all plugins. I've reinstalled Klite Codec Pack. I've updated my Nvidia graphics drivers. I've played with and tweaked my settings in every possible manner that I can find suggested for similar issues. Nothing fixes it.

The only thing that changes it to slightly working is when changing the video settings to using an external player. That does play the video in another window, however it does not auto-play (requires clicking of the play button) and does not show up slideshow mode (which is what I am tryign to get it to work on).

So if anyone could please help me that would be so appreciated. I'd like to get things back to working order.

Moderator Enterprise User Bhikkhu Pesala's Avatar
    OS
    64-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores

Yes, video formats do not play well with IrfanView. I can play them in the external player, but there is no sound. No doubt you can get it to work with all the right plugin-ins, but why bother?

The whole point of WebM is to play it in browsers.

Open them in Vivaldi and play them in a Picture-in-Picture video window too if you wish.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Playing WebM Video.png 
Views:	23 
Size:	92.4 KB 
ID:	5911

Version
    IrfanView 4.51
    OS
    64-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores

IrfanView was developed to view images, not videos. There are only basic functions and options. Hoewever, with the right codecs installed, you can view .WEBM with IrfanViews video player.
    Try it with https://www.softpedia.com/get/Multim...n7codecs.shtml or K-Lite Codec Pack.

Name:	WEBM video with Irfanview.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	63.2 KB 
ID:	5912
    Win 10/64 Home v2004 IrfanView 4.54/32
    Hate has caused a lot of problems in this world, but it has not solved one yet. (Maya Angelou)

Quote Originally Posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
    Yes, video formats do not play well with IrfanView. I can play them in the external player, but there is no sound. No doubt you can get it to work with all the right plugin-ins, but why bother?

The whole point of WebM is to play it in browsers.

Open them in Vivaldi and play them in a Picture-in-Picture video window too if you wish.

Name:	Playing WebM Video.png 
Views:	23 
Size:	92.4 KB 
ID:	5911
    Hi there, thank you for taking the time to respond. So I definitely know this is possible, because I've had it work for me before this OS "upgrade." So I need help getting it back to working order.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuki Dent View Post
    IrfanView was developed to view images, not videos. There are only basic functions and options. Hoewever, with the right codecs installed, you can view .WEBM with IrfanViews video player.
    Try it with https://www.softpedia.com/get/Multim...n7codecs.shtml or K-Lite Codec Pack.

Name:	WEBM video with Irfanview.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	63.2 KB 
ID:	5912
    Hi there, thanks for responding. So like I said in my original post, I do have K-Lite Codec pack installed. But it still plays just the audio and doesn't show the video. So I'd like to figure out why that isn't working when it used to before this OS change.

IV Beginner
    OS
    64-bit Win 7 Ultimate/Enterprise SP1
    CPU Cores

My installation works with LAV splitter and decoders.
    Run through your codec pack settings. Look out for "matroska", "webm", "VP8", "VP9".
    Try to play video and check traybar icons for splitter and decoders - may be they show some error message.
    IV 4.54 32-bit

Thread Information