Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Amazing transposal of .jpg in documents suddenly appear fully spread across desktop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solved Amazing transposal of .jpg in documents suddenly appear fully spread across desktop

Indeed my purpose for posting the following is to describe a phenomenon so strange it may be inappropriate because it may go out of the bounds of anyone else's experiences. The following occurred one night ago. I am asking if anyone knows how to restore my desktop after using Irfanview.

I am in my early 70's and have been using Irfanview for decades but only for the simplest function of adding text to my camera pictures (.jpg files) or a .jpg file derived from using my computer's Print Screen and annotating on it. I have done this countless times. The following never happened. I do not know if it is something inherent in Irfanview that caused what I am about to describe. Regardless whether it did or not, I would be grateful for solutions.

Last night I did a print screen. I saved it as a .jpg file, named it and stored it in Documents on my Lenovo laptop with Windows 8.1. There I opened it and annotated on it. As I was completing my annotations, a power outage occurred. Due to earlier issues, days before, I had to disconnect and remove my UPS protection (uninterrupted power source). Wouldn't you know it, I had approximately 20 seconds of power outage before the power came back on. So what ? My power cord was disconnected from the computer. That is fine. But I had WiFi connection at the time, and I don't know if that allowed to happen what I am to describe.

I saved the annotations on the .jpg and stored the file in a folder in Documents. Imagine my surprise when I went next to my desktop and found the Screen Print turned .jpg with annotations on it fully across the screen and serving as underlayment below my many icons on the desktop! The icons were on top of the .jpg filling my desktop and the icons aare executable. For instance I can open files like note pad and Word documents, and folders. I can click and drag them. I can delete them if desired. In fact everything is operational on the desktop and the computer. Due to color matches, some of my icons which are labeled are hard to see against the backdrop picture underneath it. It is a nuisance.

Perhaps the solution is just as simple as saving the folders and icons on the desktop and to remove them to a safe place. Then proceed with using the operating system's ability to give me a new appearance desktop. But I am first looking at how this could have happened and a solution as to how I can control the image of the print screen on my desktop NOW and/or delete it NOW.

See the options menu, Set as Wallpaper. You probably pressed Ctrl+Shift+S by mistake.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Set as wallpaper.png
Views:	1
Size:	9.9 KB
ID:	83490

Execute Ctrl+Shift+P to restore the former desktop wallpaper.

I wish these shortcuts could be disabled.
    Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 02.08.2020, 11:11 AM.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Thank you Bhikkhu Pesala ! What a relief ! That simple keys combination was like flipping a switch.

I am curious as to what the relationship is with Irfanview having a capability to “restore to former desktop wallpaper.” The only thing I can think of is to allow the capability to have the presence of a new wall paper. Then if that doesn't live up to what the prospects were, one can shift into reverse.

If that is true, it opens an infinite number of possibilities to plant a picture (with what extension would it be necessary to have?) on one's desktop. If so, are the key strokes Cntrl+Shift+S that which is necessary to make such an event to occur ?

And if the answer to that is in the affirmative, I suspect a user must be diligent to plant a replacement wallpaper on a desktop that does not compromise the visibility of icons by poor contrasts or irritating clutter on it. (?) Maybe there are other constructive reasons besides aesthetics ? Just reaching beyond my imagination.
      Last edited by sivers; 03.08.2020, 01:50 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X