Negative colours showing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Negative colours showing

I have a bunch of "tif" files and half of them show inverted colours when opened (black is white and white is black).
    I expect a white background with black writing.
    When opened with Windows Photo Viewer, it shows as expected with a white background.
    But in Irfanview it's a black background.
    Which is the correct setting to change?

Convert to negative (shortcut Ctrl+Shift+N). Save as a new file and see how that looks in Photo Viewer.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

OK thanks I'll try this.

Comment

Inverted colours viewing TIFF files

I have some TIFF files with black on white background.
        The view on Irfanview is white on black background ... so inverted, and really hard to see.
        If I open with Windows Photo Viewer, it's all good.
        Tried many settings but can't fix it.
        Do you know what the issue is?

Comment

Change the default Main Window Colour in Settings, Viewing to anything other than the default black. I generally use a soft tone like cyan or light yellow, which work well with most transparent images.
          Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Hi, yes I did actually try this before. but it only changes the background. The problem is still there.

Comment

You can also invert the images (Ctrl+Shift+N). IrfanView should display the colours as they are defined in the file, not invert them automatically.

Comment

Thanks, this does work, however I have a lot of files that I'm scrolling through and this is difficult to do every time. Was there not a general setting somewhere?

Also I don't get thread notifications from this forum for some reason, I've turned it on in my Settings.
                Default Thread Subscription Mode: Instantly, using email

Comment

If you change the Window Background colour then you won't need to invert the image.

This old thread is probably no longer relevant, but the solution is still as above: just change the Window Background Colour.
                  Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 11.08.2020, 08:50 AM.

Comment

Sorry but I don't get notifications and forget to check in.
                    I don't think it's the background because the results are different for consecutive drawings (see attached, with Cyan background).
                    In another viewer the problem is not there.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Send a Bug Report with the original File1 and File2 to Irfan Skiljan. See Help, About in IrfanView for his email address.

I sent you an email. If you did not receive it, perhaps it is getting blocked as spam?

Comment

Negative colours shown for some files, not others

I have a bunch of TIFF files and for some of them, the colours are inverted.
                        Generally they are black and white. Black text on white background.
                        Some drawings show as white text on black background.
                        When opened in another image viewer, everything is fine.

If I go to Image/Negative (invert image), this solves it but it has to be done for each file, and each time you open it.

Comment

After inverting the colours, save the file, then it should be OK the next time you open it.

Comment

Thanks but I can't invert the colors as there are literally hundreds of these files.
                            What would be the next step in trying to resolve.

Comment

Upgrade to the latest version 4.57. If some files are still inverted, send a bug report to the author. Help, About IrfanView for his email.

You could also attach a sample file for us to confirm it.

Comment

Working...
                              X