Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Broken icon overlays in Windows 10. Still!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

no bug Broken icon overlays in Windows 10. Still!

When broken icon overlays in Windows 10 will be finally resolved by IrfanView author? This is so frustrating.

Please, stop talking that this is something else fault. No, it is not. It is 100% IrfanView (or its installer) fault, because:

a) it happens ONLY after installation of IrfanView (I have installed hundreds of apps as well and none of them has this issue),
    b) it happens on ALL computers where I have Windows 10 + IrfanView,
    c) it happens since introduction of Windows 10, in at least 3-4 or more recent versions if IrfanView.

So this is not some isolated issue. It is a real and irritating problem. Please, stop ignoring it. How can we reach directly to Irfan View's author to report it?

Here is an example of Windows 10's Settings app that changes its icon to IrfanView after installation of newest version of IV:

Please, do something with this. This is not a cosmetic issue.
    Attached Files

Comment

This is a user-to-user forum. Irfan Skiljan, the developer of IrfanView, is not involved.
      Please report the problem to him. Goto 'Help > About IrfanView' for his e-mail address.
      Win 10/64 Home 22H2 IrfanView 4.66/64
      Hate has caused a lot of problems in this world, but it has not solved one yet. (Maya Angelou)

Comment

Thanks for pointing this out. I did as you suggested.

I started posting here and stopped sending e-mails, because for a period of time that e-mail was not working and was rejecting every e-mail that I sent here. I thought that Irfan changed support channel to this forum.

Now, it seems that this e-mail address is again accepting e-mails. At least I haven't received any rejection past one hour. Thank you.

Comment

Topic resolved and closed.

Comment

Did Irfan Skiljan tell you what the problem was? It would help other users to know if this is a bug in IrfanView, and if there is a test version available please attach the *.zip.
            Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

If I get any response I will surely post it here to share it with others. Nothing yet received so far though.

I know Irfan since 2004. Back that time he needed about 5-7 days to reply my e-mail, due to number of messages, he was receiving at that time. Now, 16 years later, due to growing popularity of IrfanView, if there will be any answer at all, I'd expect to get it in 2-4 weeks at earliest.

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
                Did Irfan Skiljan tell you what the problem was? It would help other users to know if this is a bug in IrfanView, and if there is a test version available please attach the *.zip.
                I totally agree with you. Always glad to have possible solutions in advance.

Comment

I have received program's author response that this problem is 10+ or even more years old and has nothing to do with IrfanView itself, but with Windows icons cache that is very badly programmed in each following version of Windows, including Windows 10.

There's a IrfanView FAQ section that deals with this problem along with links to some possible solutions:

I am testing each of the solutions mentioned there as we speak.

I had issues with icon cache many years ago, but only with Windows up 7. I had never any icon cache-related issues with Windows 10 other than the IrfanView issue. But, if author claims that this has nothing to do with program itself, but rather with Windows then that's what we all should assume.

Comment

Working...
                  X