Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solved Save Folder Delay

IrfanView 4.54 32 bit

Not sure when it started, but probably because of recent Win 10 updates it can take a very long time, sometimes several minutes, to "save" any file edited with IrfanView.

I have tried a number of options found at the MS site and other forums and tip sites such as changing file explorer settings, NETSH, winsock reset, etc, but, so far nothing works.

Anyone have any tips or suggestions for dealing with this problem? At the moment, the only option for me is to edit the files on a Win 8.1 machine using the same version of IrfanView.

Thanks in advance,
    Beverly Howard
    Last edited by bevhoward; 23.08.2020, 07:11 PM. Reason: spelling

Are you saving to a network drive or a local hard disk?
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

(This may be a duplicate... replied, but the post disappeared)

Saving to a local hard drive.

Additional information, saving files with other 32 bit programs such as TextPad save instantly.

Beverly Howard

Comment

Do you have a thumbnail view open, possibly with a large number of thumbs?
        Last edited by jazzman; 23.08.2020, 08:09 PM. Reason: sp

currently running 4.56 / 32 bit

Comment

Do you have a thumbnail view open, possibly with a large number of thumbs?
          Nope... One instance of IrfanView is the only thing running and only a single jpg file is being edited.

No other applications of any type is running other than File Explorer and Win system processes.

My next step is going to be to re-install IrfanView... probably not today.

Thanks for the responses,
          Beverly Howard

Comment

I'm pretty sick about this. I've been using IrfanView since shortly after it was released in 1996 and it is probably the most important program in my life. I have registered multiple times and that has been dirt cheap for the value IrfanView has added to my life

I've been trying to resolve this "Save" problem for the better part of a month without success.

Some of the things I have tried are;

Reinstalled IrfanView
            Installed older versions of IrfanView
            Removed Win 10 updates
            Posted on Microsoft Tech Forums
            Posted on other Tech Forums
            Executed all of the "Slow file dialog" suggested fixes in tech forums and internet search results.

As mentioned, other 32 bit programs have no delay when saving files.

IrfanView is one of only two absolutely essential desktop programs for my needs, and, since IrfanView is available only on Windows, it is the primary reason I have not switched to Linux.

So, decision time. Can someone recommend the best replacement for IrfanView?

Searching for this question, so far, XnView MP seems to be at the top of the list. One of it's appeals is that there is a Linux version available.

Any thoughts and suggestions would be very appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
            Beverly Howard

Comment

Just a couple of things you may or may not have tried:
              • turn off antivirus/firewall software
              • does saving to a USB device show the same delay?

I never seriously tried alternatives to IrfanView, so I can't help there.
              My primary feature would be support for photoshop plugins (.8bf), so I can add functionality.

currently running 4.56 / 32 bit

Comment

>> turn off antivirus/firewall software <<
                >> does saving to a USB device show the same delay? <<

Excellent suggestions... I'll try and report back.

Thanks,
                Beverly

Comment

YEE-HA!!! I finally found what's causing this problem!

fwiw, I was always convinced that the problem was in Windows and not IrfanView, but, I wrote Irfan directly after a month of frustration knowing that with his experience he would probably know what the problem was within Windows.

And, I WAS RIGHT! He requested a screenshot of the file dialog box and that gave me the tip I needed to understand and resolve the problem.

One of the things that I did a month or so after re-installing Win 10 a couple of months ago was to add "places" in the windows registry
                  HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Policies\comdlg32\Placesbar

For the first time since I started using this registry option many years ago, I included folders located on network drives.

It turns out that Windows then feels the need to validate the network location before it includes the folder icons in the file open/save dialog boxes. Even if the computers on the network are turned on, that validation process happens with every file dialog action and takes time.

Since I normally "open" files from File Explorer, that bypasses the file dialog so the problem doesn't appear when opening files.

In many other programs, clicking the "save" icon in the program, writes directly to the filename in use so the same thing happens, but, in IrfanView code, selecting "save" opens the file dialog box, and that created the difference in behavior from other programs.

I just removed the network locations from that key and the problem is gone!

THANKS EVERYONE! (It's been a LONG month!)
                  Beverly
                  Last edited by bevhoward; 26.08.2020, 03:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X