Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cannot install .ttf fonts from fileexplorer possibly due to Irfanview?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cannot install .ttf fonts from fileexplorer possibly due to Irfanview?

When I right click a .ttf (and some other fonttypes too) fontfile, I should be able to install the font, but I get only the option "Open" and if I select that, then the font is displayed in Irfanview!? Does anyone know how to change this?Click image for larger version

Name:	Irfanview_01.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	133.2 KB
ID:	85329

Go to Settings, Extensions, and clear the checkbox for TTF.

A better solution is to install a font manager for installing, viewing, and uninstalling fonts.

High-Logic MainType is free for non-commercial use.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Thank you for your reply.

But I can't get it to work. When I clear the checkbox nothing changes, and there is also an option "Win 10 needs also changes in Default apps". But when I go there and try to change the default app, then I get only the option for Irfanview or for an app from the app store? But in the app store I can't find the windows font viewer?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Irfanview_05.jpg
Size:	188.5 KB
ID:	83500

Name:	Irfanview_02.jpg
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	83501

Name:	Irfanview_03.jpg
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	83502

Name:	Irfanview_04.jpg
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	83503

And I have already MainType installed, but sometimes it's easier to install a font from the file explorer.

Comment

Changing file associations is certainly fun and games in Windows 10, not!

I had mine associated with FontCreator 13. If I right-click on a *.ttf in Windows Explorer, and Choose another App, Always use this application, and select Windows Font viewer, they will open in Windows Font Viewer, from where one can install a font.

Name:	Open With Windows Font Viewer.png
Size:	19.4 KB
ID:	83504

The right-click menu also changes to include Install (the font) for all users.

Name:	Install TTF.png
Size:	11.5 KB
ID:	83505

Changing the association back again to FontCreator, I now find that they open in FontCreator 11.5, which I still keep installed for helping users who have not upgraded to the latest version yet.

Files with the *.otf extension, which is the only one I care about, still open in FontCreator 13.0.
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Unwanted file associations have always been a problem with Windows at least as far back as WinXP.

Once a file type extension is associated with a program as default there's no simple restore to the original default option provided by Windows.

You can remove it but it will often prevent you from re-associating the original Windows tool. There are plenty of threads on various forums about this problem, particularly in regard to Windows 10. In that case it will actually tell you that a TTF file cannot be opened by the Windows Fontviewer.exe. Go figure.

You either have to edit the registry file associations or find a program which does the same job. Unfortunately there are some good, simple 'unassociation' tools that have been available since WinXP that do not work with Windows 10.
          Last edited by BadRobot2018; 02.09.2020, 11:41 PM.

Comment

When I try to use the right-click menu, I don't get the option for the Windows Font Viewer. And when I then try to associate the .ttf file to the Fontviewer.exe file, I get an error message.

I will try to find another way to change the file associations.

(I found there is also a new way of installing a font. Under "Settings --> Personal settings -> Fonts" you can drag and drop a font file from the file explorer (it gives a error, but the font gets installed).

(And why do you only care about .otf font, if I may ask?

Comment

Originally posted by BadRobot2018 View Post
              In that case it will actually tell you that a TTF file cannot be opened by the Windows Fontviewer.exe. Go figure.
              I noticed.

Originally posted by BadRobot2018 View Post
              You either have to edit the registry file associations or find a program which does the same job. Unfortunately there are some good, simple 'unassociation' tools that have been available since WinXP that do not work with Windows 10.
              Can you maybe recommend an app that does this?

Comment

Sorry no, not one that works for Windows 10.

The registry edit to remove a file association and have it restore to default is not difficult, at least for Win7. I'd assume is similar for Windows 10. But, again, I cannot advise you to how to do this. I'd still refer to a trust worthy online guide on how to do it before doing it again myself. You cannot afford to mess up when you're registry editing.

Google and I'm sure you'll find the info you need.

Comment

Originally posted by Mardoek53 View Post
                  When I then try to associate the .ttf file to the Fontviewer.exe file, I get an error message.

(And why do you only care about .otf font, if I may ask?
                  What is the error message?

All of the fonts that I create have OpenType features.

Comment

Ah,ok, you create your own fonts.

And the message (translated) -->

"The program you selected cannot be associated with this file type. Select another program."

Name:	Irfanview_06.jpg
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	83506

Name:	Irfanview_07.jpg
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	83507

Comment

Ok, I think I've found a solution for the .ttf files (try at your own risk):

- Backup the register

- Start Regedit

- Go to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT

- Go to .ttf

- Change the Irfanview value to --> ttffile (by right-clicking)

- Reboot the computer

- Go to Settings --> Standard Apps --> Change apps by type --> .ttf --> right-click "Irfanview" --> change to "Windows Font Viewer"

- Done

Name:	Irfanview_10.jpg
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	83508

Name:	Irfanview_09.jpg
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	83509

Name:	Irfanview_08.jpg
Size:	139.4 KB
ID:	83510

Comment

Mardoek53, thank you for that solution. Works perfectly, even without reboot.
                        Win 10/64 Home 22H2 IrfanView 4.66/64
                        Hate has caused a lot of problems in this world, but it has not solved one yet. (Maya Angelou)

Comment

Originally posted by Kuki Dent View Post
                          Mardoek53, thank you for that solution. Works perfectly, even without reboot.
                          Cool and you're welcome.

Comment

Working...
                          X