Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

JPG resize very slow

Hi everyone,

I use Irfanview to convert jpg images in various sizes using command lines on a Windows server 2016.
    Code:
    "C:\irfanview\i_view32.exe" C:\Users\max\Desktop\pictures\7.jpg /resize=(640,480)/resample /aspectratio /convert=C:\Users\max\Desktop\pictures\new\7.jpg"
    It usually works great, but, for some images, it's very slow and sometimes it doesn't seem to work (or I don't wait enough....).

I noticed that most of the time I've got troubles with pictures shooted with iPhone. I also noticed that, if I previously open these images with Gimp or Photoshop and put another color profile, like rgb instead of "Display P3" (which seems to be the iPhone profile), it works well.

I tried with 32bit and 64bit Irfanview versions and I also tried to check the box "Enable color management....", but It doesn't change anything.

Any ideas ?

Thanx a lot for your help.

Mahout

It looks like Windows Server 2016 does not support 64-bit IrfanView.

Using Resize instead of Resample should speed things up. If downsizing high resolution images to 640x480 I suspect that quality will not be an issue. The 64-bit version of IrfanView is quicker when working with large images as more RAM is available.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Hi,

Thanx for the quick answer !
      I tried with 32-bit Irfanview and I have the same problem.
      What do you mean when you say
      Using Resize instead of Resample should speed things up
      . Is my command not right ?

Comment

See i_options.txt

/resize=(w,h) - resize input image to w (width) and h (height)
        /resize_long=X - resize input image: set long side to X
        /resize_short=X - resize input image: set short side to X
        /resample - for resize: use Resample option (better quality)
        /aspectratio - used for /resize: keep image proportions

Resampling is always slower. See the Resample dialog in IrfanView. The resample method used also affects speed. Lanczos3 is the slowest/best quality, but overkill for downsampling.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Resample.png
Views:	1
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	83519

If I remember rightly, the command line resample will use the currently selected method in the resample dialog.
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

I tried to :
          - select the fastest resample mode
          - uncheck Resample and check Resize instead
          - Remove Resample from my command line

And it's still very very slow....

Comment

Please define very very slow. I resized 10 RAW images in about 1 min 25 secs on my old hardware.

The 4032x3012 pixel RAF images each took 21 seconds to load, which was noticeably longer than the other images.

Specs: AMD A10-6800K, 8 Gb (WinSPRLevel = 5.9) on Win 10 64-bit 1909 build 18363.1082

Comment

It takes more that 5 minutes for 1 picture. (4032x3024, 4,26Mb).
              Here is a link to dl the picture.
              If I open this picture in Photoshop, delete the embedded profile and save it with best quality (4,96Mb). The picture is converted instantly by Irfanview...
              here is a link to dl this picture.

Many thanx for your help !

Comment

It is not the file. Here, it converts in a second using the Batch dialog with resample enabled.

Comment

Thanks a lot for testing.

Could you give me the command line you used and if it's with 32 or 64 Irfanview ?
                  Last edited by Mahout; 14.09.2020, 04:37 PM.

Comment

I used the Batch dialog in 32-bit IrfanView, but this command line is also instant:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\IrfanView\i_view32.exe" C:\Users\Bhikkhu Pesala\Pictures\7.jpg /resize=(640,480)/resample /aspectratio /convert=C:\Users\Bhikkhu Pesala\Pictures\7c.jpg"

Comment

Well, really strange because the batch dialog is also instant for me but the command line take hours...
                      Anyway, thanx a lot for the help.

Comment

Try to decompress the picture first (convert to BMP) and then resize.
                        My system: IrfanView 4.62 64bit, Windows 10 22H2, Intel Core i5-3570, 16GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB

Comment

Working...
                        X