Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Automatic exit from fullscreen mode

Hello all,

I discovered a strange behaviour with IrfanView 4.40 32-bit and I'm not sure if it's a bug, or a feature for which I can't find a setting.

In the past, I have been semi-aware that IrfanView sometimes exits fullscreen mode without me hitting any keyboard or mouse button. Yesterday, this started to happen every few seconds. Back then I didn't have the time to explore it further, but did so today. The automatic exits still happen, but now it's once a minute.

I tested this running IrfanView from different drives, using different mouses, and even on different computers (albeit both running Windows 7 and both having two monitors connected), but the behaviour was the same.

I found that it doesn't matter when I entered fullscreen mode, the automatic exit happens at the same second every minute as long as I don't re-start IrfanView, and IrfanView is the active window. If it's not (that is, IrfanView is fullscreen on one of my screens and I work on the other screen), it will stay fullscreen indefinitely. To be precise, the auto-exit trigger period is more like 59.9 seconds: the second at which it happens slowly gets earlier.

I looked but couldn't find a setting on such an automatic fullscreen exit, nor could I find others reporting the same behaviour in the forum. Can someone reproduce this? Any ideas on how to change the auto-exit period or how to stop the behaviour entirely? (Other than downloading the current version of IrfanView, which I can't do on my work computer.)
    Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 15.09.2020, 12:26 PM. Reason: Fixed typos

There are a few official ways of exiting from fullscreen mode.

1. Middle-click (quite easy to do by accident if using the scrollwheel to browse)
    2. Left-click in the top left or top right corner
    3. Press Enter.

I don't know of any setting that will exit after one minute.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
      There are a few official ways of exiting from fullscreen mode.

1. Middle-click (quite easy to do by accident if using the scrollwheel to browse)
      2. Left-click in the top left or top right corner
      3. Press Enter.

I don't know of any setting that will exit after one minute.
      ESC, all keys but Num Lock and +/- on my numpad, and a couple of accented letter keys on my Hungarian-language keypad will also exit me from fullscreen mode. But what I describe happens even if my hands aren't anywhere near the keypad or the mouse, and having tried it with multiple mouses and computers and keyboards, it cannot be a hardware fault, either.

Have you tried to reproduce this with your installed copy of IrfanView?

Comment

Fullscreen is never ended 'automagically' here. I just had an image in fullscreen for > 6 minutes on the screen and had to end it manually.
        Internet-browsers also go to fullscreen if you press F11 (end with another F11), please see if the fullscreen of the browser will also be ended 'automagically'.
        I suppose that an app on your PC triggers the end of fullscreen in IV. Maybe the screensaver or something you installed recently.
        Last edited by Kuki Dent; 17.09.2020, 12:17 AM. Reason: added browser suggestion
        Win 10/64 Home 22H2 IrfanView 4.66/64
        Hate has caused a lot of problems in this world, but it has not solved one yet. (Maya Angelou)

Comment

Full screen mode exiting automatically

Hello,

When I press "Enter" in IrfanView to enable Full Screen mode, it always revert to 'normal' mode 1 second after. It was not doing that before. What happened?

Comment

Originally posted by Kuki Dent View Post
            I suppose that an app on your PC triggers the end of fullscreen in IV. Maybe the screensaver or something you installed recently.
            The two PCs I previously tested this on are both company computers where I don't have admin rights, which I circumvent by running IrfanView from an USB drive. The company did not install any new program on either PCs recently.

I have now done two tests on my home PC: once with the IrfanView 4.40 installed on the hard drive and once with its copy on the USB drive. In both cases, there was no automatic exit from fullscreen during the 2-3 minutes I waited. The main difference from the two company PCs is that the latter run Windows 7 while at home I have Windows 10. The other difference could be what's in the AppData\Roaming\IrfanView\i_view:ini file, but I can only check that on Tuesday.

Comment

Working...
            X