Redefining Hotkeys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
    Ctrl + Shift + C, T, S, and X all set the current image as your desktop wallpaper.
    The latest version 4.44 added Ctl + Shift + F to the list of wallpaper shortcuts, so there's one more to avoid. It also broke the shortcuts for Ctrl + Shift + S and X to do something other than what they were intended to do.

See my review page for links to the latest patches.

Ctrl + Shift + N is still not listed in Help, so no one bothered to inform Irfan Skiljan (Help, About IrfanView).

Originally posted by Somebody
    There was a job to be done and Everybody was sure that Somebody would do it. Anybody could have done it, but Nobody did it. Somebody got angry about that, because it was Everybody’s job. Everybody thought Anybody could do it, but Nobody realized that Everybody wouldn’t do it. It ended up that Everybody blamed Somebody when Nobody did what Anybody could have.
    Obviously, we will have to wait a while longer yet for the option to customise keyboard shortcuts.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Add confirmation for setting image as desktop background

I know, the shortcuts are quite specific, however, in the past years it happened several times that I set the current image as desktop background by mistake, probably because the Shift key was pressed for some reason while trying to copy the image to the clipboard.

This is very annoying, and some users may not directly know how to restore the previous image. For that reason I propose to introduce a simple confimation dialog in order to prevent false background settings. It does not hurt when you really want it but ´really helps if you don´t.

Comment

Originally posted by krza View Post
        This is very annoying, and some users may not directly know how to restore the previous image. For that reason I propose to introduce a simple confirmation dialog in order to prevent false background settings. It does not hurt when you really want it but ´really helps if you don´t.
        It does hurt if you really want, though I am one of those who really does not want any shortcut for this. I very rarely change my desktop wallpaper, and when I do I do it via the Windows desktop personalize route.

Anyone who does this accidentally will soon learn the restore previous wallpaper shortcut of Ctrl + Shift + P, or they can soon find it. The problem is that while working in a maximised window one does not notice that one has done it.

The only decent solution to this problem is to allow users to define their own shortcuts, then those who wish can delete these wallpaper shortcuts and use them for something more useful.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Wallpaper Shortcuts.png
Views:	1
Size:	2.2 KB
ID:	81627
        Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 22.03.2017, 07:24 PM.
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

I agree. This shortcut is actually not required and if it would not exist, it would solve the problem

Comment

Paste Special Submenu Shortcuts

Hi

I very often use the Paste Special and would be nice to have keyboard shortcuts for each of the options.
            Maybe by using the arrows keys + CTRL or SHIFT

Thanks

Comment

Menu/keyboard shortcuts

Originally posted by lmatias View Post
              I very often use the Paste Special and would be nice to have keyboard shortcuts for each of the options.
              Maybe by using the arrows keys + CTRL or SHIFT
              You can use the standard Menu/Keyboard shortcuts to access the Paste Special sub menu. eg. Alt + E, T ("Paste Special") and then R or L or B or T (for Right, Left, Bottom or Top)

Comment

First, I LOVE this program. I install and use it on all of my computers. THANKS !

Now, this is just another vote For the ability to redefine the keyboard shortcuts.
                I also like using MWSnap to capture parts of the screen (Ctrl-Shift-A),
                so I cannot use the IrfanView Ctrl-Shift-A shortcut to scan a document.

Ah, well. . . Maybe someday. . .

Thanks.

Mark 2396

Comment

Originally posted by Mark2396 View Post
                  I also like using MWSnap to capture parts of the screen (Ctrl-Shift-A),
                  so I cannot use the IrfanView Ctrl-Shift-A shortcut to scan a document.
                  In this case, as in many other cases, the access key route is just as good. For English Users it will be Alt+F, A.

Comment

Originally posted by Philbert View Post
                    ...it would be fantastic if there was a way to disable all of the keyboard shortcuts. ...
                    I fully agree with Philbert. As I found no "disable all shortcuts" or similar functionality in the IrfanView, the mspaint.exe (which is built in windows) solved this request almost perfectly for me.

Procedure:
                    1. Open the picture (or in the IrfanView or in any viewer) that has to be viewed (...viewed during work on something in another application).
                    2. Select all (Ctrl-a), copy to clipboard (Ctrl-c), Close IrfanView (Esc).
                    3. Start mspaint.exe, paste from clipboard (Ctrl-V) ....copy of picture appears in mspaint.
                    4. Set the size of mspaint window, pan the picture using scroll bars, change zoom (unfortunatelly in hundreds of percent only).
                    Mspaint has so few shortcuts that it is secured that you can't accidentally close the picture nor change zoom nor damage the original file.

May be this helps to someone.
                    Last edited by lokotraktor; 07.02.2020, 07:32 AM. Reason: Fixed typos

Comment

Originally posted by lokotraktor View Post
                      May be this helps to someone.
                      Using another program is hardly a workaround for a problem encountered in IrfanView.

To avoid losing changes, go to Settings/Properties, Start/Exit Options, and enable "Ask to save changes on exit or image/file change."

Comment

How to inactivate the "Set as Wallpaper" functionality?

Kindlly advise how to inactivate the unused menu item such as

"SET as WALLPAPER" in the Options menu.

Thank you
                        Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 23.09.2020, 07:50 AM.

Comment

The request to customise shortcut keys is at least thirteen years old. There is no request yet to customise the menus, or at least I could not find one. I think the real problem is that the shortcuts cannot be disabled. Being able to edit the menus would not stop the shortcuts from doing their thing.

Irfan Skiljan said it would be available some time, but I have no idea when we will see this feature. IrfanView is about due for an update.

Comment

Thank you for your support.

Wallpaper handling menu caused me troubles so many times.

In most applications, "control-shift-S" keyboard shortcut works as "Save As ..."
                            which is one of the most commonly used command.

I cannot recall how many times I had to remove the computers wallpaper because Irfanview replaced the computer's wallpaper.

Irfanview's WALLPAPER command is really bothering.

Could you ask Irfan to do something about this problem?

Thank you.

Comment

Send him an email. See the IrfanView Help menu, About.

Comment

Delete IrfanView_Wallpaper.bmp and create folder with that name:

Win-R, "cmd", enter
                                "cd %appdata%\irfanview" enter
                                "del IrfanView_Wallpaper.bmp" enter
                                "mkdir IrfanView_Wallpaper.bmp" enter
                                IV 4.56 32-bit

Comment

Working...
                                X