Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Data loss: overwrites next file in queue with current image data; race condition?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reported Data loss: overwrites next file in queue with current image data; race condition?

IrfanView version: 4.54 - 64 bit
    running on Windows 10

I'm opening several jpg images, editing one, saving the changes (Ctrl + S), then moving to the next file in the list (Space). I'm using a graphics tablet, and have bound an express key to type keystrokes: Ctrl+S, Space for this purpose. I have turned off the Save Dialog, and overwrite confirmation to make this quicker.

Sometimes, something very disturbing and inconvenient happens: the next file in the list is overwritten to be identical to the current one. So suppose I started with file1.jpg and file2.jpg being different. Sometimes, after typing Ctrl+S, Space in quick succession on file1.jpg will make file2.jpg be identical to file1.jpg (thus overwriting all of file2.jpg's data, but keeping its filename).

It's as if Ctrl+S starts a process of writing the current loaded image data to the current filename, but then before it's done, Space changes the current filename to be the next in the list. Thus overwriting the next file.

I have reproduced this several times (open several different files then make small edits and type Ctrl+S, Space to cycle through them repeatedly. Do this until two consecutive images are identical).
Working...
X