Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Grayscale image is designated as color by the Paint tool

This looks correct. This setting should produce 8bpp grayscale images.

In any case, I recommend to use a different format for editing. I would use PNG or BMP. Saving a picture in JPEG multiple times may degrade the picture quality. I recommend to use JPEG as the last step before upload.

JPEG is quite special and doesn't internally use 24 bpp or 8 bpp encoding. However in the JPEG options, you may enable the grayscale mode too. This will force all JPEGs to be saved in grayscale.
    IrfanView 4.56 64bit, Windows 10 20H2

Version
    IrfanView 4.51
    OS
    64-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores

Quote Originally Posted by JendaLinda View Post
    This looks correct. This setting should produce 8bpp grayscale images.

In any case, I recommend to use a different format for editing. I would use PNG or BMP. Saving a picture in JPEG multiple times may degrade the picture quality. I recommend to use JPEG as the last step before upload.

JPEG is quite special and doesn't internally use 24 bpp or 8 bpp encoding. However in the JPEG options, you may enable the grayscale mode too. This will force all JPEGs to be saved in grayscale.
    You are absolutely right!! And thanks for your patience. .jpg is uncontrollable. Even though I set both the load as and save as grayscale, it still gave me the 16mill palette. Therefore, the reliable solution is .jp2 -> .png and upload it as such. So, I close this issue and thanks again.
    Irfanview 4.54, Win 10 Pro 64bit 16gb RAM, Intel UHD graphics

Thread Information