Grayscale image is designated as color by the Paint tool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solved Grayscale image is designated as color by the Paint tool

I work with grayscale images converted by the batch processing tool. Some of the images are interpreted as color when I open the Paint tool color dialog. The batch processing is always set to 256 colors and always convert to "grayscale". How can I correct this to keep the image grayscale at all times?
    Irfanview 4.54, Win 10 Pro 64bit 16gb RAM, Intel UHD graphics

Setting the 256 colors is unnecessary, conversion to grayscale produces 256 "colors" anyway.

What image format do you use? Are the pictures interpreted as grayscale, when you open them in IrfanView before using the Paint tool?
    My system: IrfanView 4.62 64bit, Windows 10 22H2, Intel Core i5-3570, 16GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB

Comment

I am using the batch conversion tool from .jp2 to .jpg. Also, Ctrl-g does not always work, but selecting grayscale from the menu works.

Comment

Try using some different format for intermediate files, for example PNG. JPG uses a lossy compression, so it's not recommended using JPG for storing pictures intended for further editing.
        My system: IrfanView 4.62 64bit, Windows 10 22H2, Intel Core i5-3570, 16GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB

Comment

Thanks. Will return and post the results of .png conversion as the editing format, and then the final save in .jpg. In the end it's uploaded to Wikimedia Commons, and have done nearly 20,000 images over the years.

Comment

Batch or manual conversion from .jp2 to .png is worse. All images ended up as color, even though grayscale was selected. Conversion from .jp2 to .jpg, only some of the images ended up as "color".

Comment

What's your exact conversion settings? I've tested batch conversion to grayscale PNG and it worked for me.

Comment

Originally posted by JendaLinda View Post
                What's your exact conversion settings? I've tested batch conversion to grayscale PNG and it worked for me.
                Thanks for alerting me to doublecheck the settings. After some changes it now works well. There should be a separate resets to default, one for grayscale and one for colour.

The cause of the problem seemed to be the 'Colour depth group' in the advanced settings. If enabled, even with 256 colour depth, it generates inconsistent results. I will bring it to the attention of Irfan.

Comment

Conversion to grayscale will actually convert the picture to 256 colors (256 shades of gray), so there's no need to specify the 256 color depth.

Comment

Conversion to grayscale will actually convert the picture to 256 colors (256 shades of gray), so there's no need to specify the 256 color depth.
                    JendaLinda, again thanks and consider the issue resolved. BTW, do you know of any documentation about the advanced options in Batch processing? I found nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by ineuw View Post
                      JendaLinda, again thanks and consider the issue resolved. BTW, do you know of any documentation about the advanced options in Batch processing? I found nothing.
                      There is some documentation on my Help page. It is by no means comprehensive. There are a lot of options.
                      Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
                        There is some documentation on my Help page. It is by no means comprehensive. There are a lot of options.
                        Thanks for the link. It looks like a labour of love.

The question omitted in my initial post was, if Floyd-Steinberg dithering would improve the quality of a grayscale image? If yes, then I will test the custom resolution with 256 and see if the color conversion problem returns. And, in case Floyd-Steinberg dithering makes no difference, then I will the group disabled.

My focus here is only on grayscale because the source material is also grayscale. I was hoping to improve the quality of my reproductions. Irfanview goes a long way in helping me understand a lot.

Comment

Floyd-Steinberg dithering has nothing to do with conversion to grayscale.

Comment

Floyd-Steinberg dithering has nothing to do with conversion to grayscale.
                            Thanks for letting me know. If such info were to be added to the help, I wouldn't waste your time.

• After numerous tests, I found the problem. All images .jpg or .png converted to grayscale end up as grayscale 100% of the time.
                            • It's after editing and saving the images that the Paint tool reverts to the colour palette. It is then that I must select Image\Convert to Grayscale from the menu to revert the document to grayscale. Using Ctrl+G does not always work.
                            • Furthermore, this change always occurs when an image is re-saved several times.
                            • If the image only had a minor change and saved, it remains grayscale.

Comment

Originally posted by ineuw View Post
                              • It's after editing and saving the images that the Paint tool reverts to the colour palette. It is then that I must select Image\Convert to Grayscale from the menu to revert the document to grayscale. Using Ctrl+G does not always work.
                              I can't reproduce it. For me, the Paint tool keeps the grayscale picture in grayscale.

Comment

Working...
                              X