Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

4.56: Any way to change to the old clean icon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4.56: Any way to change to the old clean icon?

Hi, since 4.56 the icon has an overlay of "32" (and I assume 64). I find this quite distracting, and would like to revert to the old type of cleaner icon. Is there a way to do this - without manually changing the icon for *each* associated type using for instance FileTypesMan?

What exactly is the purpose of the overlay? Being able to tell if the image is being opened in 32-bit or 64-bit? Do people really have both installed and use them interchangeably like this?

It seems the overlay is present only in the 32 bit version.
    My system: IrfanView 4.62 64bit, Windows 10 22H2, Intel Core i5-3570, 16GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB

Comment

Originally posted by JendaLinda View Post
      It seems the overlay is present only in the 32 bit version.
      Thanks for the reply. I've always used the 32-bit one for plugin compatibility but guess I could update to 64-bit, I'm not an advanced plugin user anyway. However, because of the Next/Prev image issue (another thread), I've reverted back to 4.54 for now.

Really hope that for a future version Irfan could just replace one of the old 8-bit icons with a clean one instead, not like it's going to increase the size of the installer a lot (32k). And does anyone actually still use those old ugly icons?

I also thought about using Resource Hacker to replace the icon in the EXE itself. But because of the issue above there's no point at the moment.

Comment

See the ChangeLog at https://www.irfanview.com/main_history.htm:
        - Program icon updated
        The icon of the 64bit version lost the mark '64', therefor the 32bit version got the '32'. The 64bit version is now standard.
        In case you have both versions installed, you can distinguish the versions by their icons.
        If you start IrfanView via a link from the taskbar or desktop, you can change the program icon.
        Win 10/64 Home 22H2 IrfanView 4.66/64
        Hate has caused a lot of problems in this world, but it has not solved one yet. (Maya Angelou)

Comment

Originally posted by Kuki Dent View Post
          See the ChangeLog at https://www.irfanview.com/main_history.htm:
          - Program icon updated
          The icon of the 64bit version lost the mark '64', therefor the 32bit version got the '32'. The 64bit version is now standard.
          In case you have both versions installed, you can distinguish the versions by their icons.
          If you start IrfanView via a link from the taskbar or desktop, you can change the program icon.
          Thanks. I guess once a new version is out that (hopefully) fixes the Pgdn/Pgup issue, I'll upgrade to the x64 version.

And the program icon is not the problem, it's the icons for all file types which takes the icon from the EXE, and so ends up with "32" over them, which IMO is pretty pointless.

Comment

The Pgdn/Pgup is working fine. I've posted my solution in the original thread.
            My system: IrfanView 4.62 64bit, Windows 10 22H2, Intel Core i5-3570, 16GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB

Comment

Working...
            X