Plugin support for KDC (Kodak Camera)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plugin support for KDC (Kodak Camera)

I installed the total plugin for 64 bit. I however still get an error.
    I am guessing that this very old format may require 32 bit.
    If this is the answer Can I have BOTH 32 and 64 bit versions installed
    at the same time? Is there a KDC conversion to JPG method?
    Attached Files

Could you provide an example file?
    My system: IrfanView 4.62 64bit, Windows 10 22H2, Intel Core i5-3570, 16GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB

Comment

ERROR KDC sample

I tried to UL a sample KDC file but system not accept it for upload. even changed file ext to F*.jpg but it said wrong file format.
      Gonna try again.FILE_VIEWER_FPX.doc
      Click image for larger version

Name:	IRFANVIEW.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	18.6 KB
ID:	83533

Comment

ERROR KDC sample ZIPed up

KCP0257A.zip

I zipped the file to upload.

Comment

There is no problem installing both 32-bit and 64-bit. I recommend it. This advice is from the IrfanView website:

Advantages of IrfanView 32-bit over 64-bit version:
          • Runs on a 32-bit and 64-bit Windows
          • Loads all files/images for normal needs (max. RAM size is about 1.3 GB)
          • Needs less disc space
          • All PlugIns will work: not all PlugIns are ported (yet) to 64-bit (like OCR) and some 32-bit PlugIns must be still used in the 64-bit version, some with limitations (see the "Plugins32" folder)
          • Some old 32-bit PlugIns (like RIOT and Adobe 8BF PlugIn) work only in compatibility mode in IrfanView-64 (only 32-bit 8BF files/effects can be used)
          • Command line options for scanning (/scan etc.) work only in 32-bit (because no 64-bit TWAIN drivers)

4.56 is the latest version. The plugin is for the 32-bit version, but has first to be enabled in the Help menu.

• FPX - (version 4.56): allows IrfanView (32-bit) to read FlashPix files

Then, your file loads, but it is all black with just 1 colour.
          Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

I have no idea what's this file format. It's not a KDC file, it's a FPX file.

EDIT: 32bit IV is trying to open the file. No error, but the content is completely black.
            Last edited by JendaLinda; 29.10.2020, 10:41 PM.
            My system: IrfanView 4.62 64bit, Windows 10 22H2, Intel Core i5-3570, 16GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB

Comment

Kodak reference source and 32 bit install protocol??

I got the " KODAK " reference as by below info:

Technical details of FPX files

Based on the IVUE file format, Microsoft's structured storage format is used for FPX files since the stored data can be arranged hierarchically in a single file. FPX is a format optimized for digital photography, produced when using a Kodak camera. FPX files can be opened using the Picture Easy Software that comes with the respective Kodak camera.
              More information about the FPX file format:

File extension .fpx
              File category Raster image
              Associated programs Kodak Picture Easy Software
              CoralDRAW Graphics Suite X7
              Coral PaintShop Pro X6
              Microsoft PhotoDraw

So are there any gotchas installing the second copy of 32 bit Irfanview?? Like Install in a separate root directory???
              Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 30.10.2020, 08:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by adayton View Post
                So are there any gotchas installing the second copy of 32 bit Irfanview?? Like Install in a separate root directory???
                Not anything that you need to do anything about unless you change the default installation folders:

64-bit programs are installed in C:\Program Files\
                32-bit programs are installed in C:\Program Files (x86)\
                Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

OK, Thanks, gonna give that a try ( 32 BIT ).

Comment

32 bit still not work but gives preview thumbnail.?????

Click image for larger version

Name:	IRFAN_32BIT_PREVIEW.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	83535

I installed 32 bit Irfanview but the picture still does not open, only gives totally black blank screen.
                    HOWEVER when I hover mouse over the file listing name and RIGHT CLICK I get a thumbnail preview.
                    32 bit FPX shows up in plugin list where I clicked on the check box to activate FPX plug in.
                    64 bit FPX does not show up in the 64 bit plugin list.
                    Last edited by adayton; 01.11.2020, 06:26 AM.

Comment

I see the same preview image, but the plugin obviously fails to open the image properly. It looks like a lost cause. Try to find another application that can open the file if you really need to access these old images, and convert them to JPG or PNG.

I tried XnView, but that does not seem to work.
                      Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 01.11.2020, 06:46 AM.

Comment

The FPX plugin is broken. I tried some other picture from the web and it was all black too.

Comment

Exhortation to DEVs. Please complete the FPX Kodak plugin to generate the full photo

I will try to find my original Kodak Camera CD that hopefully will function in Win 10.

The program is I believe from Win 3.1 days.

There are I am sure a Bazillion photos made on those old Kodak Cameras

using this FPX format so can Irfanview Devs please tweak the plugin?

It is obviously quite functional enough to " decode " the FPX format in order to

output a perfect thumbnail. Please, pretty please :-).

Comment

The developer does not visit this forum. You could try contacting him (email is a Help, About IrfanView), but don't get your hopes up. Let us know what he says.

Kodak went out of business years ago, even digital cameras are not too common. The majority use smart phones nowadays.

Comment

Hi, will attempt to email my request to dev. This Kodak cameras with the FPX file format were very popular back then so there are likely hundreds of thousands of pics that us oldies would like to view/restore/convert with the good graces of Irfanview. Thanks for your feedback.

Comment

Working...
                              X