After upgrade to 4.56 Browse Stopped Working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solved After upgrade to 4.56 Browse Stopped Working

After upgrading from 4.53 to 4.56 Browse stopped working.
    Win10 Pro ver 2004 64 bit, Irfanview 4.56 32 bit + plugins

I compared the 4.53 and 4.56 INI files and they are identical. Irfanview displays a jpeg when double clicked but the arrows are greyed out. The Browsing / Editing check boxes are set as they were in 4.53. Irfanview is the default App for jpeg and other picture files.

Seems the same as the issue by TMHKR on 27 10 2020 but I don't understand how he fixed it.

Any help appreciated.

See this thread https://irfanview-forum.de/showthread.php?t=12682
    Win 10/64 Home 22H2 IrfanView 4.67/64
    Hate has caused a lot of problems in this world, but it has not solved one yet. (Maya Angelou)

Comment

Thanks for the speedy response.

I ran Irfanview as Admin and in Properties/Settings I selected "Try to change associations in registry for (XP, Vista Win7, Win8)" and then clicked OK before exiting from Irfanview. After this selecting "Load custom file types" causes the Browse arrows to work. However, IV then opens all file types in the folder, including txt and pdf files.

Selecting "Load only associated types while moving through folder" doesn't work -- it prevents moving through the folder via Browse. Unfortunately, this is the mode I generally used and from Stephane's comment, it appears that it isn't possible to recover the original functionality by reverting to an earlier version of IV.

While the workaround of "Load custom file types" is very helpful, I hope "Load only associated types" can be made to work as it did in previous versions.

Again, thanks for the timely help.

Comment

Copy the list of extensions from Custom file types into a text editor and remove unwanted ones such as TXT. This mode has the advantage not to rely on interacting with the registry and to load file types you rather associate with a more suitable program (PSD, PSP).

Comment

Thank you j7n.

That allowed me to get IV 4.56 functioning like it did previously for me with IV 4.53. Previously I didn't realize what that line of gibberish meant or what it could do.

I appreciate the help, it solved the problem for me.

John

Comment

Working...
          X