Use native resize/rotate method for SVG images

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Requested Use native resize/rotate method for SVG images

As I understood IrfanView now uses the same methods for vector images as for regular pixel image formats - base resize or resample with one of filters (Hermite, b-spline, etc.).

I suggest using native for scalable vector image methods for resize and rotate operations - it allows infinite zoom/rotate changes without any loss in visual quality.

IrfanView now use new SVG plugin from SeppeSol and its good news. I try to find some info about author but no luck. I would like to support this plugin development via bug reports and pull requests if it is opensource. Please share some info about author or ask him make it opensource.

Sorry for my bad English and feel free to ask anything if I wrote something unclear.
    Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 10.11.2020, 04:16 PM. Reason: Improved the English

IrfanView is a raster picture program. It can't even save SVG pictures. When viewing SVGs, they're automatically converted to raster pictures. Many raster picture editors import SVG like this. You need a vector program to edit SVG pictures.
    My system: IrfanView 4.62 64bit, Windows 10 22H2, Intel Core i5-3570, 16GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB

Comment

Of course it cant save SVG and I said nothing about that. However, I need zoom and sometimes rotate for viewing SVG with many small text (as an example). Now I cant read anything on SVG with small viewBox. So I am asking for this feature only for viewing purpose.

Now, if viewing SVG with IE, it supports the zoom feature. IV can support lossless zoom too, it just needs render SVG again using another zoom factor, maybe should add transform tag support.

My request is to make some API calls to SVG plugin then when user hits "+" and "-" for zoom the plugin should render SVG again with new zoom factor versus as now zoom pixels on image that IV got after SVG was open - and we got blurred image now and lose the main feature for scalable vector images.
      Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 10.11.2020, 04:16 PM. Reason: Fixed typos

Comment

I see, I didn't understand the question correctly.

Web browsers are technically vector viewers. The text, frames and other elements are vector graphics.

The zoom function in IrfanView is raster by nature. However, there should be some option to render a SVG picture in a desired size. That would be pretty useful.
        My system: IrfanView 4.62 64bit, Windows 10 22H2, Intel Core i5-3570, 16GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB

Comment

As I understand CADImage.dll plugin (it supports SVG images too) allow set desired picture size but this option changes via external CAD Manager program (thats not quick access from IV) and this option set one size for all SVG images. So it means that users should constantly run CADManager.exe if need change viewer size - really unfriendly. Thats why I suggest use native zoom options in IV for it.
          Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 10.11.2020, 04:17 PM.

Comment

Yes, that is very inconvenient.

You may contact the developer of IrfanView and discuss some other possibilities. The contact information is in the About dialog in the program.

Comment

I am the author of svg.dll.
              The plugin is a prototype under development.
              Each release comes with an updated readme.txt file.
              Soon I will release version 0.78 with support for the marker element.
              I will discuss with Irfan a user friendly method to refresh an svg image after a crop/resize/rotate.

I appreciate help to support the development of svg.dll with bug reports, q&a and experiences.

The plugin is coded in macro assembly. Hence the performance and small size.
              I would like to publish the source and the assembly tools, if at least 50 persons are willing to join the lenghty free course.

Comment

Working...
              X