Cannot set JPG EXIF date/time on scanned image

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solved Cannot set JPG EXIF date/time on scanned image

On a scanned image, when I select "Change JPG Exif date/time taken" and enter the desired date, the START button is grayed out and cannot be selected. I subsequently edited these images in Photoshop. I presume this is because the scanner set no EXIF data. The function works fine on my camera images.

Suggestions on how to accomplish this task?

Thank you.

Edit: this problem also exists in unedited scanned images.
    Last edited by rmatt; 20.11.2020, 04:35 PM. Reason: Adding more details

You cannot edit Exif data that is not there.

I don't think there is any way around this, though perhaps there is with other software tools specifically designed for editing Exif data.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
      You cannot edit Exif data that is not there.

I don't think there is any way around this, though perhaps there is with other software tools specifically designed for editing Exif data.
      Thanks for your help.

Comment

I stumbled onto this issue via the IrfanView Thumbnail interface, too, except that it seems to silently fail to set or update the EXIF date if one doesn't already exist. I ended up using EXIF Date Changer to create/set the dates on a big batch of scanned photos to a dummy value, like 1/1/1900, and then I was able to use the batch functionality in IrfanView Thumbnail [right click -> JPG Lossless Operations -> Change EXIF date/time (date taken)...] to go from there.

Is it worth opening a feature request or a bug report for Thumbnail to warn that EXIF data won't be affected if it doesn't exist, or has this already been discussed?

Comment

Originally posted by blabes View Post
          Is it worth opening a feature request or a bug report for Thumbnail to warn that EXIF data won't be affected if it doesn't exist, or has this already been discussed?
          Just send a bug report to Irfan Skiljan if you think it is a bug. Personally, I would not expect today's date to be added to a file that has no Exif date set. See Help, About IrfanView for his email.

Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Working...
          X