Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: SWF/FLV support in 2021?

IV Newbie

Default SWF/FLV support in 2021?

Hello, I couldn't find any answer to the problem, yet. There are several so called "standalone" flash players around (eg: SWF Player, SWF File Player, even the debugger projector of Adobe itself) - Irfan View's Flash Plugin being one of them.

However what I have been unable to figure out is if all these players are indeed independent, or whether they need the Flash element which is incorporated in the Widows system (folder Windows-sytem32/or/sysWOW64-Macromed-Flash-FlashUtil_ActiveX.exe).
    I found this discussion here on an Adobe forum which is about Win XP, but I don't think there have been any changes in this regard:
    https://community.adobe.com/t5/flash...uage=de&page=1
    which would confirm my fear.

This element will be auto-destroyed by Windows via an update which can't be avoided or deleted, and the element not be reinstalled. Which would mean that also Irfan View would no longer be useful for rendering interactive swf files. Since I have one of these, I really need a correct reliable information about how exactly the Flash function of Irfan View technically works.

Anybody please be able to help me?

OS
    64-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores

The answer is found at https://www.irfanview.com/plugins.htm
    - FLASH - (version 2.2.0.1): allows IrfanView to read Flash/Shockwave/FLV format.
    So flash.dll is decoding these videos and will not be affected by any Windows update.
    Win 10/64 Home 20H2 IrfanView 4.57/64
    Hate has caused a lot of problems in this world, but it has not solved one yet. (Maya Angelou)

Version
    IrfanView 4.51
    OS
    32-bit Win Server 2003 SP2
    CPU Cores

When I attempt to play a FLV video with flash.dll loaded, I get an error message. The plugin is 364 KB uncompressed, and can't possibly include a video decoder or the complicated scripting that became part of Flash.

The Flash player "projector" SAFlashPlayer.exe from Adobe is standalone. It's like a "self-extractor" for complete presentations in SWF format. It does not play extracted or downloaded video.

For separate videos on Windows you can use a video player that has a FLV splitter and then plays the video stream as any other: Media Player Classic Homecinema, SMPlayer, FLVSplitter.ax. These do not depend on Windows or Adobe components.

I would not consider formats thad depend on system DLLs to be reliably supported in IrfanView.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Clipboard01.png 
Views:	63 
Size:	3.4 KB 
ID:	6045  
    Last edited by j7n; 14.12.2020 at 07:17 PM.

IV Beginner
    OS
    64-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores

Adobe Flash is proprietary, it's not easy to write an independent player for it.

MPC can open SWF files directly, however I don't know what library is used.
    IrfanView 4.56 64bit, Windows 10 20H2

Version
    IrfanView 4.51
    OS
    32-bit Win Server 2003 SP2
    CPU Cores

Flash is mainly vector graphics with dynamic updating based on a program, so a video player is hardly suited for handling them. It will open some form of Flash sub-window, which I can do myself by running the Flash projector exe. My MPC says "Flash player for Internet Explorer is required" if I try to open an SWF file. It never occurred to me to try it before.

FLV, MP3, AAC that later became incorporated into bloated Flash can be played by a video player.

One could also try remultiplexing FLV files into Matroska, which is more widely supported and future proof, using MkvToolNix. This process is fast and without loss of quality, and should work with recent FLV files containing MPEG formats.

IV Beginner
    OS
    64-bit Win 7 Ultimate/Enterprise SP1
    CPU Cores

In case somebody wants to experiment:

https://archive.org/download/flashpl...llers/archive/

They say that 32.0.0.371 is the last version without a timebomb.
    Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 19.12.2020 at 06:57 AM. Reason: Fixed typos
    IV 4.56 32-bit

IV Beginner
    OS
    64-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores

You may still use a standalone player (projector) from Adobe for playing SWF files, it's independent on system plugins. Just search for "flash player projector".

FLV format is supported in many video players, including MPC and VLC.

IV Newbie
    OS
    64-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores

Question Flash plugin remotely killed today.

Post merged to plugin forum thread

The Adobe Flash Player site says it stops working today 12/1/2121 and indeed, I got an SWF game that I could play in the Flash player, in IrfanView (also in Media players like MPC or others) until this morning (I played yesterday evening). It is now just showing an Adobe Flash logo, and nothing else. Same in MPC. On another PC that is offline (thank God, XP and IrfanView 4.33), the same file still plays. Of course the file has not been modified. I updated IrfanView to 4.56 (64bit, Windows 10) last week and I also updated Flash... Was that my mistake?
    How did they kill it? Is there a way back? Thanks.

I was about to post a bug for that Flash player (the file closes when you minimize IrfanView) but if it's dead anyway, there is no point.
    Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 12.01.2021 at 08:13 PM.

IV Newbie
    OS
    64-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores

Well, SWF files don't play anymore from today. Check it for yourself. I should not have updated Flash on the 1st of January.

IV Beginner
    OS
    64-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores

The standalone Flash projector is still working as expected.

Thread Information