trouble with camRAW.dll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

trouble with camRAW.dll

camRAW.dll ignores the camera's corrections being applied to the photo.

While you can say it reads the raw files it does that in a way which does not make sense:
    e.g. in case of wide angle shots the jpg photo shows straight lines etc. but the camRAW.dll displays the photo "as taken" with bent lines etc.
    Please, see post #9 for sample photos.

Previous versions of Irfanview displayed cr2 and x3f files similar to the jpg output enabling a good pre-assessment of the photo's quality.

Is there any solution for this problem ?
    yes, same problem here
    0.00%
    no, raw files look similar to jpg
    100.00%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by salsa; 25.01.2021, 05:16 PM.

I see big differences depending on the options used in Settings, Plugins:
    • Try to load embedded preview image (if available)
    • Try to load CRW/CR2 using Canon DLLs
    • Load half size image (faster, using Formats Plugin)
    • Use automatic white balance
    • Use camera white balance, if possible
    • Don't automatically bright the image

What settings do you use? A link to a RAW image that exhibits the problem you report would be useful. RAW images will probably be more than the forum size limit of 2.86 Mbytes when zipped.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Thanks for looking into my RAW - problem.

Sorry, that I forgot to mention the Irfanview version I installed lately -version 4.57, 64bit version, win10 system.

I tried various settings and ended up with:
      - not trying to load any embedded preview (rather wanted to assess to complete photo / information)
      - not using the Canon dll (tried it but got an error message and it seems those dll are for 32bit anyway)
      - not loading any half size image (see above)
      - use the camera white balance, if possible
      - no automatic brightness / gamma adjust

My raw files are indeed a wee bit bigger the 2.86 MB :-)
      The cr2 files from the Canon are typically 30 MB and x3f from Sigma hit approx. 50 MB each.

Previous versions of Irfanview managed to load both file types amazingly fast and without any troubles.
      Last edited by salsa; 24.01.2021, 08:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by salsa View Post
        Previous versions of IrfanView managed to load both file types amazingly fast and without any troubles.
        Then you were probably not loading the full image. That is why there are the options to load half-sized or embedded preview images.

If you want to work with RAW images, use a proper photo editor. IrfanView is just an image viewer with limited features.
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
          Then you were probably not loading the full image.
          The images were loaded completely, or at least at full resolution.

Thanks for answering, though.

For serious editing I do use the corresponding Sigma and Canon software.

Up to now, Irfanview was just brilliant for a quick crop, conversion to jpg or just checking the photo quality

Comment

Make sure you're using the 64-bit version. It is significantly faster at loading large images than the 32-bit version.

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
              Make sure you're using the 64-bit version.
              I do, please check my post from 24.01.2021, 09:04 PM.

Comment

I don't think we can help without a sample image.

I reinstalled 4.56 64-bit in C:\TEMP and loaded a CR2 file in 4250 milliseconds
                4.57 64-bit loaded the same file in 3562 milliseconds

In both cases, I loaded the full RAW image. A different image gave load times of 1828 milliseconds and 1406 milliseconds respectively.

In my tests, 4.57 is significantly faster than 4.56.

If I try to use Canon DLLs I also get a decode error.

Comment

To illustrate the problem I did this:

a) loaded a Canon cr2, resized it to 900x600 and converted to jpg; IMG_1761_Irfanview conversion from cr2.jpg
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1761_Irfanview conversion from cr2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	118.9 KB
ID:	83573

b) loaded the Canon jpg version of the same photo and resized again to 900x600; IMG_1761_Canon jpg output_Irfanview resize.jpg
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1761_Canon jpg output_Irfanview resize.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	83574

The resulting images should be very similar but ... see for yourself.

My wife is still using Irfanview 4.38:
                  The original Canon cr2 and Canon jpg look the same on her screen.

The Canon cr2 trouble is bad enough but after re-installing Irfanview version 4.57 I have noticed now that Sigma x3f files are classified as "not a valid raw file" when trying to load them.
                  Last edited by salsa; 25.01.2021, 08:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X