Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: APNG support

Moderator Enterprise User Bhikkhu Pesala's Avatar
    OS
    64-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores

32-bit = 8-bits for Red, 8-bits for Green, 8-bits for Blue, and 8-bits for transparency.

IrfanView only supports palleted transparency, i.e. any one colour among the 16.7 million can be selected as transparent.

Just viewing APNG should not be too hard.
    Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 30.12.2011 at 12:19 PM.

IV Newbie

Default Animated PNG

[not .gif; .PNG]
    searched the forms didn't see anything about it. i would like support for Animated PNG.
    APNG website here.

OS
    64-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores

Not much point to be honest. The benefit of APNG over animated GIF is that it supports alpha-transparency, and IrfanView doesn't support alpha-transparency yet for single image PNG. Its due to a limitation of Device Independent Format that IrfanView uses.

Other than that, its not an animation program. Just viewing APNG is of limited use — though that would be better than nothing — users will want to edit and save as/convert to APNG as well, and for that one really needs animation tools. IrfanView can already view the first frame of APNG images.

A search for "APNG" would have found several previous threads.
    Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 08.12.2010 at 10:39 AM.

IV Newbie

Thumbs up

your first point is valid enough; i understand that. <- keep this in mind when you read the next part.

your second point however is [censored] [censored]
    Just viewing APNG is of limited use
    what? that's like saying "just viewing an animated GIF is of limited use". the point of an animated image is that its ANIMATED.
    this is image viewing software, i would like to view animated images(.png) in it. if i wanted to make APNGs i would use the software provided at the APNG website; not infranview :/

also: (first line on your homepage)
    "IrfanView is a [...] graphic viewer"
    if it also edits images, well, more power to you!; but you don't need to support making/editing every kind of image (APNGs) because that isn't in the description.(unless i missed it, then i take that back, sorry.)

OS
    64-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores

Animated GIF doesn't support alpha-transparency, so a single colour background colour is OK. I don't think IrfanView could display APNG properly until the alpha-transparency issue is resolved.

Default Add Support for "Animated PNG" files

please add support to correctly display Animated PNG files ".apng & .png"

for more information

http://animatedpng.com/index.php/about/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/APNG

OS
    32-bit Linux Distribution
    CPU Cores

I also vote positive for this feature
    If it hurts not to drint, don't waste the bottle then.

Default animated pngs

There is a new unofficial standard out there called APNG (Animated PNG)
    as it surpasses animated gifs in quality it should be supported - currently it shows only the first frame (as APNG is backwards compatible)

example file I found on the internet (jumping FF logo - viewable with some browsers - see APNG-link)

OS
    64-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores

Several threads on this topic have been merged — its a common feature request.

I see no reason to change my views on this issue. IrfanView doesn't support alpha-transparency yet, so APNG support is pointless. Just viewing APNG is of limited use if they cannot be modified or saved, and IrfanView is not the right tool for that job.

APNG is still little used on the web, and not all browsers support it.

Version
    IrfanView 4.32
    OS
    32-bit Win XP Pro SP3

Quote Originally Posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
    I see no reason to change my views on this issue. IrfanView doesn't support alpha-transparency yet, so APNG support is pointless.
    Have you displayed a normal, alpha-transparency PNG in Irfanview? If what you say has any validity at all then you should be arguing that IV shouldn't be supporting PNG at all — or any other format with transparency — but in fact it renders perfectly well. If by “alpha-transparency” you mean the ability to see through the actual window to different windows underneath — as was introduced in some windows menus and such starting in XP — well, that would but an amusing feature in general, but is completely irrelevant. Rendering an APNG image as a series of normal PNGs (just as an animated GIF is rendered) is all that's needed — ie. showing the image as it is intended to be seen, and that is not pointless. Irfanview is a great viewer, and has always prided itself on being among the first viewers to support both transparency and animation, so why are you so determined to resist what you yourself admit is “a common feature request” ??

Just viewing APNG is of limited use if they cannot be modified or saved, and IrfanView is not the right tool for that job.
    No one is asking for them to be modified or saved — any more than we expect animated GIFs to be modified or saved or WAV files to be edited! The request is to see the graphic image as it was intended. That's what a viewer is supposed to do. Period. Anything else is just a bonus.

APNG is still little used on the web, and not all browsers support it.
    A few years ago you could have said the same of PNG itself — you can certainly also say it about possibly most of the format that IV does support! There's already a few non-browser viewer that support it, but — yes — currently only the Gecko & Presto rendering engines support it (that's nearly anything based on Mozilla [Firefox, Seamonkey, Iceweasel, Netscape, etc.] , plus Opera), but Webkit [Safari, Chrome, etc.] is open so at least an extension for support there is only a matter of time… the Trident engine will be longer just because it's Micro$oft (it was also the last engine to natively support tabs).

Just to address the one other aspect of all this that you could bring up, I will note that APNG is not an officially sanctioned format of the recognized PNG standards group — however it is still a valid PNG format. The PNG specification says that code blocks that are unrecognized need to be ignored for backward compatibility so APNG is technically a compatible fork of the standard — that it is being used at all means it's worth displaying, particularly IE users (who for some reason can't or won't change browsers) might like to see (through a helper app) what those other browsers can see natively.

Thread Information