• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Add Support for "Animated PNG" files

please add support to correctly display Animated PNG files ".apng & .png"

for more information

Comment

I also vote positive for this feature
      If it hurts not to drint, don't waste the bottle then.

Comment

animated pngs

There is a new unofficial standard out there called APNG (Animated PNG)
        as it surpasses animated gifs in quality it should be supported - currently it shows only the first frame (as APNG is backwards compatible)

example file I found on the internet (jumping FF logo - viewable with some browsers - see APNG-link)

Comment

Several threads on this topic have been merged — its a common feature request.

I see no reason to change my views on this issue. IrfanView doesn't support alpha-transparency yet, so APNG support is pointless. Just viewing APNG is of limited use if they cannot be modified or saved, and IrfanView is not the right tool for that job.

APNG is still little used on the web, and not all browsers support it.
          Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
            I see no reason to change my views on this issue. IrfanView doesn't support alpha-transparency yet, so APNG support is pointless.
            Have you displayed a normal, alpha-transparency PNG in Irfanview? If what you say has any validity at all then you should be arguing that IV shouldn't be supporting PNG at all — or any other format with transparency — but in fact it renders perfectly well. If by “alpha-transparency” you mean the ability to see through the actual window to different windows underneath — as was introduced in some windows menus and such starting in XP — well, that would but an amusing feature in general, but is completely irrelevant. Rendering an APNG image as a series of normal PNGs (just as an animated GIF is rendered) is all that's needed — ie. showing the image as it is intended to be seen, and that is not pointless. Irfanview is a great viewer, and has always prided itself on being among the first viewers to support both transparency and animation, so why are you so determined to resist what you yourself admit is “a common feature request” ??

Just viewing APNG is of limited use if they cannot be modified or saved, and IrfanView is not the right tool for that job.
            No one is asking for them to be modified or saved — any more than we expect animated GIFs to be modified or saved or WAV files to be edited! The request is to see the graphic image as it was intended. That's what a viewer is supposed to do. Period. Anything else is just a bonus.

APNG is still little used on the web, and not all browsers support it.
            A few years ago you could have said the same of PNG itself — you can certainly also say it about possibly most of the format that IV does support! There's already a few non-browser viewer that support it, but — yes — currently only the Gecko & Presto rendering engines support it (that's nearly anything based on Mozilla [Firefox, Seamonkey, Iceweasel, Netscape, etc.] , plus Opera), but Webkit [Safari, Chrome, etc.] is open so at least an extension for support there is only a matter of time… the Trident engine will be longer just because it's Micro$oft (it was also the last engine to natively support tabs).

Just to address the one other aspect of all this that you could bring up, I will note that APNG is not an officially sanctioned format of the recognized PNG standards group — however it is still a valid PNG format. The PNG specification says that code blocks that are unrecognized need to be ignored for backward compatibility so APNG is technically a compatible fork of the standard — that it is being used at all means it's worth displaying, particularly IE users (who for some reason can't or won't change browsers) might like to see (through a helper app) what those other browsers can see natively.

Comment

Originally posted by invisifan View Post
              If what you say has any validity at all then you should be arguing that IV shouldn't be supporting PNG at all — or any other format with transparency — but in fact it renders perfectly well.
              You came to the wrong forum if you want to argue. This is a feature request. You can support it if you wish — I don't and won't until IrfanView fully supports 32-bit transparency.
              Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Working...
              X