Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Implemented APNG support

Hello

I used to be a windows user and back then Irfan View was one of my favourite programs I still always install it, even though I only use windows for playing games now.

Anyway, getting to the point - I finished implementing the APNG format (Animated PNG) a while back, it is part of the Firefox (and other Mozilla products) alpha releases, and will ship with the next stable versions.

I was wondering, are you interested in supporting this format? Here are links to the specification , the Mozilla implementation page, an APNG editor, and GIF Movie Gear. All these already have support for APNG.

Will you implement it? It should be very straightforward, since you already deal with PNG files and with animations. If there's anything I can do to explain the specification or how my implementation works, please ask and I will be glad to share.

Cheers,

Andrew
    Last edited by andrew; 18.06.2007, 06:21 AM.

This following comment can now be ignored, since the issue was now corrected. I am only leaving the comment here to maintain the flow of messages here. Otherwise the other readers might wonder what the heck was being talked about.

You might want to edit your link under "the specification" from http://http//wiki.mozilla.org/APNG_Specification to http://wiki.mozilla.org/APNG_Specification
    Otherwise the readers here get an error message when clicking on what you have.

Thanks Andrew!
    Last edited by ChuckE; 18.06.2007, 06:51 AM. Reason: Link now fixed.
    I wish to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather.
    Not like those passengers, in his car, when he drove over that cliff.

Comment

This format really looks promising.
      I will checkout GMG and some examples. Although I think it's still too future-browser dependent (using FF2).
      Unfortunately I haven't got the skill to make a IV-plugin for this.
      But I think, for things like that, Irfan View first would need the capacity to handle layers.

EDIT : I tested GMG with a file "demo-2-over+none.png" by Dolske. It worked.
      But I detest apps with a restricted period of 30 days...
      Last edited by Sam_Zen; 18.06.2007, 04:43 AM.
      Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Link fixed.

Obviously I know nothing about how Irfan View works but in Mozilla I didn't have to add any functionality - I just combined the existing PNG decoder with existing GIF animation code. Does Irfan View use libpng? If so, my patch can be used and most of the work is done in there , just the displaying left.

Comment

Animated PNG (APNG) support

Does exist some plugin for IV, that can show APNG as animation?

Comment

Originally posted by sheppi View Post
            Does exist some plugin for IV, that can show APNG as animation?
            Do you know that APNG is not an official format and that the PNG group doesn't support this extension? The APNG extension violates the rules of the PNG specification (even if it doesn't harm any PNG viewer I know).

This is just a comment, no problem if someone does the work ;-)

Comment

MaxSt on the Opera Forums used VirtualDub APNG Mod.

I found that APNG Anime Maker was good enough for my needs.

I am not sure if supporting APNG would bloat IrfanView or not. I think it is the wrong kind of program to use for creating anything more than simple animations. It really doesn't have the tools to create 3D graphics, and a basic 2D animation tool — although enough for my needs — is a bit limited.
              Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

APNG support?

Hi forum, my first day here, been using Irfanview for a couple years now. I heard about an animated PNG format a little while back, something like PNM or something, so I look it up.
                I find this APNG file format in one of the first google results and I decide to check it out.
                I notice they are just PNG files on a web-page, and decide it's no big deal until I notice "Must be viewed in Opera, blah, blah, blah". Upon returning to the URL from Chrome to Opera, these plain PNGs just start moving and everything, it was rather confusing at first. I learned that APNG is just series of PNGs just like an animated GIF is a string of static GIFs. Logical, so that if a long pause is present you can use just the one frame. So what's the big deal? It supports 24 bit color, and 8 bit transparency levels! I immediately had three questions:

1) Besides file size (in comparison to our rather fast internet these days) why is this format not so widely available?

2) Can (by unofficial plug-in or what) Irfanview be modified to support this format? If not,

3) how, when or can the plug-in be created for Irfanview?

I thank you all for reading my first post!

Comment

APNG support is still hard to find. IrfanView cannot even support 32-bit alpha transparency yet, so it may be a while before it can export APNG. Its not the right tool for the job anyway — you need a proper drawing program to create animations.. At least you need layers — so I think we can forget about IrfanView doing this in the foreseeable future.

With alpha transparency, APNG can look good on different backgrounds, and with more colours than GIF.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 01.07.2010, 09:30 PM.
                  Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Done!

So is it really not as simple as multiple PNGs, each with a length to play and arranged in certain order?
                    I recently got a program called "Unfreeze" which takes in static GIFs and exports them as one animation GIF, so this is where I get the logic from, be it right or wrong.

- "IrfanView cannot even support 32-bit alpha transparency yet."
                    I'm afraid I do not understand...APNG supports 24 bit color and 8 bits of transparency, the same as all standard PNGs, and besides drawing the background black (or whatever color is chosen for the backing) Irfanview seems to draw everything right...
                    Have I misunderstood your aspect as in 32 bits "total"? Including color and alpha? Or 32 bits of alpha in itself?

Personally I can't see a difference past 24 bits per channel, but some people can...

Edit:
                    Oh no what I meant was will I ever be able to view animated PNGs in IV? Just view?
                    Opening Opera just to access animated pictures is rather inconvenient.
                    Last edited by Yiu; 01.07.2010, 10:16 PM.

Comment

32-bit = 8-bits for Red, 8-bits for Green, 8-bits for Blue, and 8-bits for transparency.

IrfanView only supports palleted transparency, i.e. any one colour among the 16.7 million can be selected as transparent.

Just viewing APNG should not be too hard.
                      Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 30.12.2011, 12:19 PM.

Comment

Animated PNG

[not .gif; .PNG]
                        searched the forms didn't see anything about it. i would like support for Animated PNG.
                        APNG website here.

Comment

Not much point to be honest. The benefit of APNG over animated GIF is that it supports alpha-transparency, and IrfanView doesn't support alpha-transparency yet for single image PNG. Its due to a limitation of Device Independent Format that IrfanView uses.

Other than that, its not an animation program. Just viewing APNG is of limited use — though that would be better than nothing — users will want to edit and save as/convert to APNG as well, and for that one really needs animation tools. IrfanView can already view the first frame of APNG images.

A search for "APNG" would have found several previous threads.
                          Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 08.12.2010, 10:39 AM.

Comment

your first point is valid enough; i understand that. <- keep this in mind when you read the next part.

your second point however is [censored] [censored]
                            Just viewing APNG is of limited use
                            what? that's like saying "just viewing an animated GIF is of limited use". the point of an animated image is that its ANIMATED.
                            this is image viewing software, i would like to view animated images(.png) in it. if i wanted to make APNGs i would use the software provided at the APNG website; not infranview :/

also: (first line on your homepage)
                            "IrfanView is a [...] graphic viewer"
                            if it also edits images, well, more power to you!; but you don't need to support making/editing every kind of image (APNGs) because that isn't in the description.(unless i missed it, then i take that back, sorry.)

Comment

Animated GIF doesn't support alpha-transparency, so a single colour background colour is OK. I don't think IrfanView could display APNG properly until the alpha-transparency issue is resolved.

Comment

Working...
                              X