Open source small programs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Open source small programs

I would like from all members to put here open sorce small useful programs.
    I am beginning with this useful programs:

1.SIW ( System Information for Windows) (1,4 MB.)

SIW is an advanced System Information for Windows tool that gathers detailed information about your system properties and settings and displays it in an extremely comprehensible manner.
    SIW can create a report file (CSV, HTML, TXT or XML), and is able to run in batch mode (for Asset Inventory Tracking, Software and Hardware Inventory, PC Audit, Software Audit, Software License Compliance Management).

The system information is divided into few major categories:

* Software: Operating System, Installed Software and Hotfixes, Processes, Services, Users, Open Files, System Uptime, Installed Codecs, Software Licenses (Product Keys / Serial Numbers / CD Key).
    * Hardware: Motherboard, Sensors, BIOS, CPU, chipset, PCI/AGP, USB and ISA/PnP Devices, Memory, Video Card, Monitor, Disk Drives, CD/DVD Devices, SCSI Devices, S.M.A.R.T., Ports, Printers.
    * Network: Network Cards, Network Shares, currently active Network Connections, Open Ports.
    * Tools: Password Recovery, Reveal lost passwords hidden behind asterisks, MAC Address Changer, Monitor Test, Shutdown / Restart.
    * Real-time monitors: CPU, Memory, Page File usage and Network Traffic.

SIW is a standalone utility that does not require installation (Portable Freeware) - one less installed program on your PC as well the fact that you can run the program directly from an USB flash drive, from a floppy, from a network drive or from a domain login script.

Platform: Microsoft Windows 98/Me/NT4/2000/XP/Server 2003/Media Center/Tablet PC/Windows 2003 Server R2/Windows Server 2003 x64/Windows XP x64/Windows Vista/ Windows Vista x64 / Windows Server 2008 / WinRE / Bart PE / Winternals ERD Commander

Home page
    download page

2.KeePass Password Safe(1.2MB.)

What is KeePass?
    Today you need to remember many passwords. You need a password for the Windows network logon, your e-mail account, your homepage's ftp password, online passwords (like CodeProject member account), etc. etc. etc. The list is endless. Also, you should use different passwords for each account. Because if you use only one password everywhere and someone gets this password you have a problem... A serious problem. The thief would have access to your e-mail account, homepage, etc. Unimaginable.

KeePass is a free/open-source password manager or safe which helps you to manage your passwords in a secure way. You can put all your passwords in one database, which is locked with one master key or a key-disk. So you only have to remember one single master password or insert the key-disk to unlock the whole database. The databases are encrypted using the best and most secure encryption algorithms currently known (AES and Twofish). For more information, see the features page.

Is it really free?
    Yes, KeePass is really free, and more than that: it is open-source (OSI certified). You can have a look at its full source and for example check if the encryption algorithms are implemented correctly.

Perhaps you wonder why I decided to make it open-source. The answer is relatively simple: in my opinion all software that has something to do with security should be open-source. Here's a quote of Bruce Schneier that sums it up pretty good:

Home page
    download page

3.Locate 32 (1,2 MB)

Locate32 is software which can be used to find files from your harddrives and other locations. It works like updatedb and locate commands in Unix based systems. In other words, it uses databases to store information about directory structures and uses these databases in searches. The use of these databases provides very fast searching speed. The software includes a dialog based application as well as console programs which can be used to both update and access databases. Supported operation systems are Windows 98/ME/NT4/2000/XP/Vista.

http://locate32.webhop.org/
    download page

If open source is concerned, one should have at least the link to SourceForge
    Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Yes,there are a lot of good prgrams.

Comment

AkelPad, one of my favorite text editors - small, fast, multi-document, tabbed, portable...
        Its: Belongs to "It"
        It's: Shortened form of "It is"
        ---------------------
        Lose: Fail to keep
        Loose: Not tight

---------------------
        Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

This SIW is an excellent tool.
          I sometimes have to test a certain hardware configuration.
          And I also will check AkelPad. A very nice design of its webpage by the way.
          I'm very content with EditPad for years, but it's a light version.

PopTray 3.2
          It calls itself "Mail Notifier", but that's not how I use it, because I'm not connected 24 hrs a day.
          I use it as a pre-check of my mail on the pop-server before downloading.
          * For efficiency, to remove the spam first, before importing in Thunderbird
          * For safety. To prevent unwanted actions from an opened mail like HTML or some script.
          PopTray has a safe preview in ascii of the content of the message in case of suspicion.

Mediacoder
          Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

The main features of 7-Zip
            • High compression ratio in new 7z format with LZMA compression
            • Supported formats: Packing / unpacking: 7z, ZIP, GZIP, BZIP2 and TAR
              Unpacking only: RAR, CAB, ISO, ARJ, LZH, CHM, MSI, WIM, Z, CPIO, RPM, DEB and NSIS
            • For ZIP and GZIP formats, 7-Zip provides a compression ratio that is 2-10 % better than the ratio provided by PKZip and WinZip
            • Strong AES-256 encryption in 7z and ZIP formats
            • Self-extracting capability for 7z format
            • Integration with Windows Shell
            • Powerful File Manager
            • Powerful command line version
            • Plugin for FAR Manager
            • Localizations for 69 languages

7-Zip is especially good at compressing Truetype Fonts, and HTML files (use PPMd compression). Simple interface, small download, good performance. A typical example: 7 Truetype fonts (2.76 Mbytes) = 1.31 Mbytes as standard IZArc ZIP, but only 441 Kbytes as a 7-Zip LZMA archive. A large website as ZIP 15.1 Mbytes, as 7-Zip PPMd self-extracting archive = 6.63 Mbytes.

If you have duplicates of image files in different folders, 7-Zip will archive much better than standard ZIP. Here's an Extreme Case (28.3 Kbytes) to illustrate the point. Try extracting the archive and compressing it with ZIP (1.99 Mbytes). For the same reason, I found that some animation files compressed exceptionally well.
            Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 02.01.2009, 11:46 PM.
            Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Rightfully added, Bhikkhu.
              The example is impressive, but that's not that surprising with 1556 identical files.
              If it takes 11 copies, the file already becomes 8 times bigger.
              7-Zip obviously calls the data again if it's a duplicate, which is quite efficient.
              TC already can open 7z-files. I will check how to integrate this packer in TC as well.

MediaInfo

This is already offered in .7Z format. So I compared with a re-packed .ZIP format of the same pack.
              The 7z is 1.2 MB and the zip 1.9 MB. Quite significant I think.
              Last edited by Sam_Zen; 11.02.2008, 03:57 AM.
              Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

But size is not that important to me, 7-zip is open source and .zip has copyrights.

I found a site, thanks to Leif, with a nice set of small and very useful free tools, also command-line ones.
                Unique collection of freeware utilities and freeware password recovery tools

Some of them with the source code. And no install.

And again thanks matera, I have made AkelPad my default text-editor.
                I had to give in some luxury, like a button bar, so more use of kb-shortcuts, but I like it.
                Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Image Recovery Software

Thank you for starting this thread. I love learning what are the favorite "tools" that other people use.

I really hope you never need this software. A friend of mine's wife deleted all their wedding anniversary pictures from the camera's memory card before they downloaded them. I was able to recover all but one. I used two programs, both free. Both worked.

The first one is open source and a command line program. It actually recovered two more images then the second if you are comfortable with a command line program. Works for all Windows and Linux. Complete instructions and options are on the web site. Impressive!

TestDisk & PhotoRec , http://www.cgsecurity.org, Christophe GRENIER

The second program is commercial program called Zero Assumption Recovery. It has a free image recovery feature and runs under Windows with an easy to use menu. They also have excellent instructions on the web site.

Zero Assumption Recovery, http://www.z-a-recovery.com/

hootowls

Comment

Recovery of files is a tricky thing. It depends heavily on the time between the mistake and the attempt to recover.
                    Data-clusters or memory-associations could be overwritten in the meantime.
                    So, as usual, there's no one single master-tool to solve this. Some app can fix this, others can fix that.
                    Thanks Hootowls, TestDisk & PhotoRec is a very nice tip, because I like open source. It looks promising.
                    I can add to this issue : Restoration
                    Last edited by Sam_Zen; 09.05.2008, 12:53 AM.
                    Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Update
                      In the meantime I've found out that Akelpad has a big collection of plugins to tune the app in a custom way.
                      So I have a button bar again.

Audio
                      I like to mention the, what I call, 'Droppers'.
                      Small and simple apps to convert from one audio-format to another.
                      I collected four of those coders from http://www.rarewares.org/
                      Source is supposed to be a WAV-file. The four formats : OGG - MP3 (Lame) - FLAC - WV (WavPack).
                      Check the context-menu (R-click) for further custom settings, if necessary, before dropping.
                      The 4 GUI's, in real size :

Normally I'm a strict non-user of drag-n-drop, but this construction suits me fine.
                      Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Another list I snatched..

A Swedish magazine's forum had an author to collect links/software from people in the thread.
                        I rewrote it in English and added some own favorites to the collection, and blogged it!

So, here's the deal:

Hey there! I just read an interesting post on a Swedish web forum. It was a list on great freeware applications. So I'm pleased to rip n tra...

Enjoy!
                        Last edited by Carl; 14.05.2008, 10:22 AM. Reason: paragraph split etc

Comment

7-Zip 4.64 Update

, archiver, compression, zip, best, compress, high, ratio, free, gnu, lgpl, unzip, far, win32, 7zip, long, file, names
                          Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Working...
                          X