EPS Files?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EPS Files?

I'm insearch of a viewer application that can view .eps files. I happened upon IrfanView, and thought I had a winner. Unfortunately, when I try to view the eps file, I get an error message claiming a decode error, and that I should make sure to have the AFPL Ghostscript Plugin installed. I then installed from Tucows the entire PlugIn file with the same results.

Is there something I'm missing here? Any assistance will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Michael R. Macygin

It needs a specific version - 8.54
    Sorry it's so fussy
    Its: Belongs to "It"
    It's: Shortened form of "It is"
    ---------------------
    Lose: Fail to keep
    Loose: Not tight

---------------------
    Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

Originally posted by mmacygin View Post
      I'm insearch of a viewer application that can view .eps files. I happened upon IrfanView, and thought I had a winner. Unfortunately, when I try to view the eps file, I get an error message claiming a decode error, and that I should make sure to have the AFPL Ghostscript Plugin installed. I then installed from Tucows the entire PlugIn file with the same results.

Is there something I'm missing here? Any assistance will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Michael R. Macygin
      Michael,

I have the exact same issue. I downloaded the correct version of Ghostscript, but still can't open eps files. Did you ever figure out what you need to do after you've downloaded Ghostscript?

Comment

Is Ghostscript installed in its default location? I think that might matter.
        ---------------------

---------------------

Comment

Originally posted by matera View Post
          Is Ghostscript installed in its default location? I think that might matter.
          Yes. It installed to the default location, C:\Program Files\gs\gs8.54.

I've tried copying the files gswin32.exe, gsdll32.lib, gsdll32.dll and gswin32c.exe to Irfanview's Plugins folder. No luck.

Opening either of the gs exe files brings up a command-line application. (NO idea what I'm supposed to do with that.)

The postscript.dll, necessary to open eps files, is present in Irfanview's Plugins folder.

The only thing I can think of is that I'm supposed to do something to "connect" Ghostscript with Irfanview. No idea what or how.

The older version of Irfanview had no problems with opening eps files. Not so the 400 version.

Thanks for responding to my request for help, Matera.

Comment

Foo. I can't think of anything. Unless...do you have any other version of GS installed? Or is Windows confused about it in some other way?

I was spurred to install GS in my new system because I wanted to view a few things with IV, and I had no problem - it worked right away. So I have no 'educational" experiences to give me insight.
            ---------------------

---------------------

Comment

EPS Files?

Thanks for the reply, Matera. That tells me I'm not missing anything obvious. So I'll try uninstalling IV and GS, then re-installing. I'll report back on my experience.

Comment

Originally posted by r.hathaway@craneware.com View Post
                Thanks for the reply, Matera. That tells me I'm not missing anything obvious. So I'll try uninstalling IV and GS, then re-installing. I'll report back on my experience.
                Uninstalled all and reinstalled Irfanview, then Irfanview Plugins, then AFPL Ghostscript 8.54.

No luck this time, either. I'm in search of a different eps viewer. Suggestions, anyone? TIA.

Comment

Might as well get Ghostwiew. It can do a lot with eps and pdf that IV can't anyway.
                  ---------------------

---------------------

Comment

Working...
                  X