Thread: Does Irfanview play wmv's OR does it call Mediaplayer ???

IV Newbie

Default Does Irfanview play wmv's OR does it call Mediaplayer ???

First I can only get Irfanview to play MPG's when it comes to video's... I have been reading some of the posts here and see some statements make it sound like Irfanview does not play certain video formats but calls upon a video player that does... I hate Windows media player because you can not delete a video you are watching where as in Irfanview you can delete a video you are watching...

The error I am getting is "windows error test mmsystem 296" ... It states about going to www.fourcc.org which I did and I download some file called Xvid but that did not help....

I would like to have Irfanview play all video formats within its user interface....

I have version 3.95 and of coarse my WMV file's play just fine using Microsoft media player...

Thank You.....

Version
    IrfanView 4.33
    OS
    64-bit Win 7 Professional SP1
    CPU Cores

First update your IV version. Then try again. My IV plays WMV fine.

Version
    IrfanView 4.20
    OS
    32-bit Win XP Pro SP1
    CPU Cores

IrfanView plays nothing. It calls an old Media Player control to do the playback. This 'player' only understands Video for Windows formats (a VFW decoder has to exist).

Version
    IrfanView 4.37
    OS
    64-bit Win 7 Professional
    CPU Cores

You may get a better result by setting the internal player to use DirectShow. See under Options > Properties/Settings > Video/Sound > Use DirectShow for playing.

If you have the external player (the video appears in separate window) then make sure that you have the Player options set to 'Microsoft Media Player Interface'.

Thread Information