X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LOL
    no poop!
    ...but don't wait until they get it all right - you'll die of old age first

BTW, my comper seems to have recovered from her sudden allergy to her own registry...after a few hours of grooming. Cooler weather sure helps. *rolls eyes*
    Last edited by matera; 29.06.2007, 03:53 AM. Reason: because...
    Its: Belongs to "It"
    It's: Shortened form of "It is"
    ---------------------
    Lose: Fail to keep
    Loose: Not tight

---------------------
    Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

I would like to thank You guys for trying to help me out!

Comment

You are quite welcome. Ther are few problems that are owned by one person.

BTW, yesterday I had a sudden mysterious change in Windwoes attitude that started the browser-pops on a request to convert to GIF. I hadn't changed the extension options at all. Putting the unchecked formats back fixed it. At least I've still never lost the ability to do that *shakes head sadly*

I'm still thinking about possible alternatives.
        ---------------------

---------------------

Comment

Hokay, here's my latest weird one...

My first thought was to use a shortcut in SendTo. One can make SendTo subfolders full of specialized shortcuts or batchfiles. I use it a lot, rather than clutter my context menu with alternative file open commands.

Shortcut didn't work, Windwoes and IV were not communicating correctly. I turned to other means. After some hours of educational but futile effort, I tried a command from the registry. The new context menu entry worked - but only for one file at a time. I took a break.

I went back to the old-fashioned batchfile, same command syntax that worked in the registry. Again, only one file at a time. BUT there is a solution to that - add lines, incrementing the %n numbers, and adding /silent and /killmesoftly to end extra processes started with no file input (and also take care of the "Operation completed successfully!" window in some other operations, like appending to a TIF). You can select as many files as there are working lines in the batchfile, or less, or more. If more, the extra files will simply not be converted.

Example:

"D:\Grafix\Irfan_View\i_view32.exe" "%1 /convert=$N.pcx"
          "D:\Grafix\Irfan_View\i_view32.exe" "%2 /convert=$N.pcx /silent /killmesoftly"
          "D:\Grafix\Irfan_View\i_view32.exe" "%3 /convert=$N.pcx /silent /killmesoftly"

Simply paste in however many lines you think you might want, increment the numbers, save as convert-x.bat and drop a copy in SendTo.

What the heck, it don't cost nuthin.
          ---------------------

---------------------

Comment

Hi folks! I didn't know about the plugin IrfanViewShellExtension. I downloaded it, installed it, looked for it in the Registry (the key was there) and went on doing all the bad things you described in your replies. When I converted a jpg to jpg nothing seen to happen, but after rereading my folder, the jpg was overwritten (the date changed to today). That fact and the German button in the Options-menu didn't discourage me to use this poor devil. It works great and it can multi-convert too. My conversion is started from Total Commander in stead of Explorer. I use another little rascal: PicaView. That context-proggy can convert too; and it asks if it may overwrite an image. Both tools seem to work happy together for days now and I haven't encountered any misbehaviour. Uninstalling must be easy. Simply delete the key to the IVEx.dll in the Registry and delete the files in the IV-root. By the way, I did all the 'testing' without restarting my system (XP-SP2 without any upgrades) after the installation of ShellExtensions. I endorse the conclusion of matera: the fault lies in Windows.

Comment

I Found It!

07/08/29 - I FOUND IT!!! YEAH! w00t! Whooptie!

Unbelievable! I was looking for something else!

C:\Windows\IVEx.ini

For some reason it seems to be not always there - anyway, I never found it before today. If it is not there, putting it there seems to work all right. Use text below, copy and paste into text editor, edit to suit taste - 0 or 1, the usual meaning - and save. Deleting the file restores default options. Changing options re-creates the file (sometimes - it is not consistent!).

Incidentally...I had some faint hope that I could alter the case behavior, but changing case in the INI does not affect the case of the resulting extension. Still all caps, bleh.

------ IVEx.ini file contains all below this line (default settings) ------
              [IrfanShellExt]
              GIF=1
              BMP=1
              JPG=1
              PCX=1
              PNG=1
              TIF=1
              SWF=1
              TGA=1
              EMF=1
              ICO=1
              LWF=1
              PBM=1
              PGM=1
              PPM=1
              THUMB=1
              SLIDE=1
              INFO=1
              ---------------------

---------------------

Comment

Originally posted by eSkRo View Post
                ...If i can find a program that works with Win98 and
                that works with right-clicking (converting at least to PCX) that would the best!!!
                All right. Enjoy this shell extension!
                This works in Win98 & XP.
                Last edited by Sjef; 22.10.2007, 08:48 AM.

Comment

Unfortunately, that doesn't support some file formats that I find indispensible.

I started having a problem with the BaxBex demon recently, the web browser started popping up. Deleting the INI file fixed it right away. I have observed that the INI is not created until a default setting is changed (why it is not always there). Once it is refreshed by the deletion and recreation it is all right...until one trims down the list too far again, and then once more GIF=browser! Just have to put up with a few extra unneeded options.
                  ---------------------

---------------------

Comment

FirmTools ShellExtension

Originally Posted by eSkRo
                    "... If i can find a program that works with Win98 and that works with right-clicking ... "

see this nice tool:
                    FirmTools ShellExtension
                    and also this thread in old german forum: "Extensions"

regards
                    Frank
                    Last edited by Frank; 25.05.2008, 02:58 PM.

Comment

That is a nifty item. Unfortunately, it doesn't do multiple files. On the other hand - it will convert files to PSD! I was looking for a painless way to do that. Yay! Now I can have lots more textures for the Adobe 8BF Texturizer plugin. (fool around in IrfanView, convert to grayscale and save as whatever, then convert to psd, open something else in IrfanView, apply texture )
                      ---------------------

---------------------

Comment

Apply texture in IrfanView

Originally posted by matera View Post
                        (fool around in IrfanView, convert to grayscale and save as whatever, then convert to psd, open something else in IrfanView, apply texture )
                        How did you apply texture to a file in IrfanView? And when/how do you get this IVEx.ini file in the Windows directory?

Comment

The IVEx.ini appears if you change the shell extension configuration -- I think I mentioned that back some way. Gotta re-read this thread myself some day!

There are some 8BF plugins for texture, I have several. One allows loading an external file as a texture base. Unfortunately, it tends to show slight seams no matter how nice I make my seamless texture image. So I don't know if it's worth talking about
                          ---------------------

---------------------

Comment

Thanks for your answer. I assumed you ment editing a graphic using a texture in IrfanView. Maybe I'm not clear enough, so see the attachment.
                            Indeed, no need to twaddle further about that texture-plugin.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                            X