Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Displayed date ambiguity

Occasional User
    Version
    IrfanView 4.51
    OS
    64-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores

I'd be happy with that. I only suggested 03-aug-2008 because 03-08 can be read as March 8 or August 3 while 03-aug-2008 has no ambiguity. 2008-08-03 shouldn't be misread. I use that format all the time for exactly the reason j7n gives: sorting.

IV Newbie

I concur with the problem, but suggest a different solution. Date format should be user-selectable, either dd.mm.yyyy or mm.dd.yyyy. Or, for that matter, yyyy.mm.dd. This is a common feature of many forum programs. Many programs go even further, and use os defaults or region-based defaults.

IV Amateur
    Version
    IrfanView 4.50
    OS
    32-bit Win 7 Professional SP1
    CPU Cores

This is really annoying. Everyone all over the world uses different date formats, but this forum seems to have only one. And that one is not very friendly if you don't know what it is.

As a programmer, I would prefer YYYYMMDD (the sort date format), but everyone is different. It's very annoying when its MM-DD-YYYY or DD-MM-YYYY. How can you tell which is being used if you can't set it?

Joe Petree

Moderator Enterprise User Bhikkhu Pesala's Avatar
    OS
    64-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores

Quote Originally Posted by joefiesta View Post
    How can you tell which is being used if you can't set it?
    Everyone knows that they are only 12 months in a year, and no fewer than 28 days in a month. Your post was on 31.12.2017, so that is obviously 31st December 2017. The thread was started on 26.01.2009, which was obviously 26th January 2009.

Since posts in a thread always follow one another, putting the date first before the month makes it easy to see the format used even when the date is 12 or less, e.g. 09.02.2018 follows 08.02.2008.

As noted in the OP, this is probably hard coded by VBulletin. If so, there's nothing that the site admin can do about it.

Thread Information