Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sam_Zen View Post
    updated upto 4.23.
    Good. It would be worth putting a note on 4.23 to tell people to use the 4.22 plug ins. I wouldn't have known that if Skippybox hadn't said it.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy2No View Post
      It would be worth putting a note on 4.23 to tell people to use the 4.22 plug ins.
      Yes, that's why we have threads like this, which demonstrate the confusion caused by such an exception. Not only that, but the thread is dedicated to updates which are outside of the plugin packages, and even have different version numbers (more confusion, I'm sure). Sure, it's nice to have the rapid updates and only release new packages for efficiency, but it leads to problems when everyone's on a different page (sometimes literally, like going for updates on the RIOT webpage!).

Such is the story with bug fixes, nobody knows what version they really are running and what is normal behavior anymore. It can be quite a support headache keeping track.

Comment

2 Andy2No :
        I will mention this on the page.

2 Skippybox :
        It can be quite confusing indeed.
        Fortunately Frank is keeping track of plugin updates after a IV release.

I don't know if I have all of the updates, but of Riot and Paint quite a lot.
        Of other plugins I may not have the updates, simply because I didn't need them at the time.

I agree about post-release bug fixes. A confusion which is unneccesary imo.
        It happened lately with the Paint plugin, if I'm correct.
        The fact that it's integrated as a basic plugin in the IV setup, makes it worse.
        It's quite clumsy to release a new main version, and keep it that way, while one of the internal plugins has to be updated later.
        Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Sam_Zen

Do you have any of the pre-plugin versions of RIOT? That would be the very early versions 0.1.1 thru 0.1.6.

Comment

Checked. Most of the times I just saved the plugin version, not the stand alone one.
            My archive starts with stand alone version v.0.1.3.
            The first Lite package (without freeimage.dll) is having DLL 0.10.0.
            Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

That's great Sam_Zen. Thanks for putting those on your site.

Comment

Nice collection there! My IrfanView collection doesn't go back that far, but I probably have every Paint version.
                Its: Belongs to "It"
                It's: Shortened form of "It is"
                ---------------------
                Lose: Fail to keep
                Loose: Not tight

---------------------
                Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

Here's a blast from the past. Does anyone remember IrfanView 1.75 from '96?

No toolbar, no editing, no plugins, no Thumbnails, no Slideshows, no Batch, not even an INI. But wait, there was Full screen! Boy, weren't those the times.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Great !!
                    I notice some other icons in the set, than now :

I will gather my Paint versions as well.
                    Last edited by Sam_Zen; 06.11.2009, 01:17 AM.
                    Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Yes, I was surprised to see those cool icons, too. That is why I posted the About box to see if anyone noticed. Here's a better look at the icons (sorry I had to reduce the prior animation to accommodate the forum ):

There's actually one other icon not shown in the About screen that was in the executable. Looking at it, you'll see why...that Irfan!

I put all the icons in an ICL library in the attached 7-ZIP archive.

Oddly, 1.75 is not in the i_changes.txt file, but it is one of the earliest versions right after 1.70. Not sure if there was an actual 1.00 released (no date given), since I only began using IrfanView around 3.75. Maybe only Irfan has that one...
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Skippybox; 06.11.2009, 07:12 PM.

Comment

Nice. I think Irfan was zooming in there...

I think this priority for Full screen is typical for the approach of Irfan.
                        No hooters and bells, first things first. As a viewer.

This is the 1st time I handle a *.icl file with IV.
                        It seems to be a multipage thing, but it could also be treated as an animation.
                        Did you make it with IV ?

edit:
                        Thanks sandman, this oldapps.com is a nice place to fill the gaps in my list.
                        2 matera :
                        I've started with the Paint section in my archive, so keep an eye on it please.
                        Last edited by Sam_Zen; 07.11.2009, 12:53 AM.
                        Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

2 Andy2No :
                          I will mention this on the page.
                          Thanks. I missed seeing the recent posts.

That's a very useful resource. You seem to be missing the RIOT logo? Maybe it's just my browser.

Comment

Nice. I think Irfan was zooming in there...
                            LOL. Yes, that must have been it.

I think this priority for Full screen is typical for the approach of Irfan.
                            No hooters and bells, first things first. As a viewer.
                            That's right. Come to think of it, we didn't have much need for anything else then anyway. Digital cameras and PNGs were just coming onto the horizon.

This is the 1st time I handle a *.icl file with IV.
                            It seems to be a multipage thing, but it could also be treated as an animation.
                            Did you make it with IV ?
                            Well, that is the way IV interprets it and makes it convenient for viewing. Irfanview handles an EXE or a DLL the same way. An icon library is an easy way to contain a set of icons for distribution or archival, and is essentially a 32-bit DLL holding icons.

No, IrfanView can't create ICL files, which is a bit beyond its capabilities. Although, if it can produce PDFs, then perhaps nothing is too much! I made the ICL in IcoFX, which has a great Resource Editor for producing libraries and modifying or extracting icons from EXEs/DLLs.

I should mention that even an ICO can be multi-layer and contain several resolutions of an icon (although not as powerful as an ICL). Again, not something IV is capable of, unfortunately. See the attached ICO.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Skippybox; 12.11.2009, 09:59 PM.

Comment

Nice example. I will checkout this IcoFX.
                              So far I used Resource Hacker for this, but that hasn't an ICL export function.

2 Andy2No : The Riot logo should be there (using FF).
                              Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Nice example. I will checkout this IcoFX.
                                GIMP can make a multi-res ICO, too. But, it probably isn't as straightforward or convenient as IcoFX.

The Riot logo should be there (using FF).
                                I checked, it isn't there. The address http://www.samshuijzen.nl/sam/iview/riot/riot.png produces a HTTP 404 - File not found error.

Hey, I noticed you used my little 1.75 animation on your site... so cool!

Comment

Working...
                                X