Unicode Filenames

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unable to open a file with a unicode filename

Here is a problematic file: 28______.rar I think the characters used are cyrilic.

Windows displays the filename correctly.

Originally posted by VersionInformation
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP [version: 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2]
    CPU: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 1.70GHz [x86 Family 15 Model 1 Stepping 2]
    Installed RAM: 512 MBytes
    IrfanView 4.10

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
      I think you have no idea at all what most IV users need. Users from Asia who are sending you files with Unicode filenames/paths obviously do not use IV. Those who are using IV clearly do not regard Unicode support as essential. Many other things will be a higher priority for them as they never need to open such files. For them, time spent on adding Unicode support means time lost for other tasks.

This feature request is not even in the pipeline for development as far as I can tell, though it has been known about for a long time.

IV is not like a browser or a word-processor. It can process the image data if the file is renamed. I suggest looking for a file renaming utility that can handle Unicode.

Bad to know that...

And I can't rename those files. They have valuable information on the file name itself, like surnames.

Thanks, anyway.
      more cablop?
      http://cablop.net

Comment

Support is needed

Hello,
        I came just to say, that support Unicode Filenames is needed and needed badly. I realy like IrfanView and use it for many years, but I need to have another viewer on my PC for the files that named in different languages. There are many users that see this issue critical. Hopefully it will be implemented one day. Good luck and thanks for a good program.

Comment

I think you have no idea at all what most IV users need. Users from Asia who are sending you files with Unicode filenames/paths obviously do not use IV. Those who are using IV clearly do not regard Unicode support as essential. Many other things will be a higher priority for them as they never need to open such files. For them, time spent on adding Unicode support means time lost for other tasks.

This feature request is not even in the pipeline for development as far as I can tell, though it has been known about for a long time.

IV is not like a browser or a word-processor. It can process the image data if the file is renamed. I suggest looking for a file renaming utility that can handle Unicode.
          I am a newish IV user (UK based) and on the whole it is an excellent program but I would heartily agree with the previous comments of others about IV supporting unicode characters.
          IV not only cannot open files which have these characters in its name BUT it also barfs on any image file which is contained in a directory structure which contains a unicode, even if that image file has a "standard 8 bit" character name.

e.g. a file named picture.jpg in the following directory structure

f:\Shared\Projects\München\Hotels\Images\picture.j pg

Your suggestion of re-naming the file is redundant, and the directory structure cannot be renamed as this would affect 100s of users on a large network.

This lack of unicode support limits its use to a small number of countries and so will never be taken up in a huge number of countries and in some case continents Asia, Russia, Scandinavia, most of non-English speaking europe etc. This is a huge shame as IV is without doubt one of the finest image viewers I have come across.

Comment

Originally posted by Bordigles View Post
            e.g. a file named picture.jpg in the following directory structure

f:\Shared\Projects\München\Hotels\Images\picture.j pg
            There is no problem at all opening a folder in such a directory. "ü" is a standard ANSI character, but folder names with Latin-Extended characters such as "ā" or other Unicode characters would cause problems.

I can only reiterate what has been stated several times already. The program's author is well aware of this problem, and has been for many years.
            he said, "Its very complex and he got many suggestions (coding examples). This feature comes when it comes - it takes a lot of time."
            I don't think IV use is limited to a small number of countries. Have you seen the language page?
            Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 05.01.2008, 06:25 PM.
            Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Maybe it's not so complex but this kind of work is not so funny. And if you are moving only a part of application to unicode (like filenames) then you will get strange side effects and it takes some time to figure them out (like different windows message ids).

The ImPDF plugin already supports a second interface using Unicode. I would prefer that more plugin authors would prepare their plugins. If the plugins are ready than it may be easier for Irfan to do the step in IrfanView.

Comment

Sorry, I got my ANSI and unicode mixed up, it was this character I was having issues with (ó).
                I'm still learning more about IV, and I am amazed at its features, a brilliant piece of work!

Comment

I fail to see how the lack of Unicode filename support could be a great menace to IrfanView.
                  I simply cannot believe that Unicode support is not taken more seriously, especially in this day and age. The time of 8+3 filenames and 7-bit encodings are long gone; there are about two billions people out there who are relying on Unicode instead of proprietary and obsolete code pages.

Yes, I'm aware that Unicode implementation is not a simple task. I'm not bothered by the time it takes to implement it; I'm bothered by the apparent lack of professionalism behind the decision of not giving it more priority because you think we "have no idea at all what most IV users need". Then again, maybe you were giving your own opinion on the matter. I hope Irfan has a different view on this.

I don't think IV use is limited to a small number of countries.
                  You're assuming that those "foreign" countries (read: not English-speaking territories) are still using code pages by default. This is not the case, especially with Unix or NT-based systems.
                  Core 2 Quad Q9600 3.4 GHz | Radeon RX 280X 3 GB | DDR2 8.0 GB | Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit | IrfanView 4.51

Comment

Originally posted by Ryusennin View Post
                    I'm bothered by the apparent lack of professionalism behind the decision of not giving it more priority because you think we "have no idea at all what most IV users need". Then again, maybe you were giving your own opinion on the matter. I hope Irfan has a different view on this.
                    I gave my own view in response to the opinion expressed that
                    a lack in this feature is a great menace to this image viewer.
                    I have quoted Irfan's statement above. Professionals work for money. If you like to offer some money to Irfan to code this free program with the feature you want so badly, perhaps he will be professional (i.e. paid to do it). As for me, I help here voluntarily, and no one pays me anything, so I don't have to do anything to provide what you want. It is not my decision to give it more priority, or less. It comes when it comes. Try to understand that.

Don't shoot the messenger because he brings bad news.
                    Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 16.01.2008, 10:32 PM.
                    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

IrfanView is a fantastic program. I've been using it as my default image viewer for several years.

As for Unicode support, I think it is the #1 missing feature. For current IrfanView users it's a huge annoyance, requiring either the renaming of files and directories or the use of some outside program like applocale. Both of these workarounds are ludicrous. For potential IrfanView adopters, I imagine the lack of Unicode support is often a complete deal breaker.

Comment

Originally posted by pkp
                        For current IrfanView users it's a huge annoyance
                        Well, I'm a current IrfanView user and I'm not annoyed. I don't need it, so I don't see it as a (quote) "lack" either.
                        Of course the more flexible IrfanView is, the better. But this is more than just adding another language module.
                        I quit programming a long time ago, but I estimate that introducing Unicode will influence every level of the application.
                        This means, that it will take not only much time to achieve it, but also a long aftermath of debugging all the areas.
                        So in the meantime : try to finetune the rename routine.

Originally posted by Ryusennin
                        The time of 8+3 filenames and 7-bit encodings are long gone
                        A widespread perspective of pc-users : old things are rubbish, and new things are a better replacement.
                        I prefer to see new things as an addition.
                        Would you call your lifetime between 4 and 8 years old as 'obsolete' now?

Originally posted by Ryusennin
                        the apparent lack of professionalism behind the decision of not giving it more priority
                        Hmmm. I will try to moderate myself in my comment, but
                        Professionalism has to do with the way things are made, not with making money yes or no.
                        There are too much examples of so-called 'professional' software-makers, getting quite rich of products which are clumsy crap.
                        So maybe Mr. Skiljans priority is more to enhance the quality, than seeking a bigger audience.

Originally posted by impdf
                        I would prefer that more plugin authors would prepare their plugins.
                        Nice approach. It could mean a more efficient process indeed.
                        Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

In Miranda for instance, ansi and unicode plugins can coexist.
                          Maybe in iv it would also be possible to convert similarly over a longer timeframe
                          instead of having to do everything in one huge move.

Comment

Testing

I sincerely hope that anyone who see this as a "must have" are also willing to put time and effort in testing what Irfan is going to make.
                            Last edited by TheOS; 04.02.2008, 08:19 PM.

Comment

Hey I'm new here.

This may be the first and last post I'm making here, frankly, Irfanview is such a great program, that technical support is almost redundant. I had been using Irfanview since its birth, years ago. It is one of the must-install apps everytime on a fresh OS installation.

However, I would like to strongly urge the developers to make Irfanview support Unicode filenames. Personally, I deal with a lot of images with Chinese/Japanese filenames, Irfanview simply wouldn't open them. And thus I had to use an alternative bloatware image viewer, or something Microsoft provided to open it.

I tried to be an irfanview evangeliser both among my friends and at the workplace. People are impressed with the speedy image viewing, and are sold by Irfanview's wealth of functions and options (eg. crop, tilt, text insert) and versatility when combined with plugins. However, the lack of support for Unicode filenames annoyed them as it annoyed me. It can be said to be a deal breaker. A sore thumb sticking out.

Some of you say' rename the file'... maybe for personal stuff that can be an option. However, when at work, and if the client specifically requested no renaming of the images, renaming is not an option.

So again, I beseech the devs to implement support for Unicode filenames. Perhaps to ease the process, release open betas alongside current versions. We will be glad to help test.

It's tough, but it'll be worth it.

Comment

This thread is going nowhere so I am closing it. We are only users and we have no influence on what gets done or when. I will let Irfan have the last word. He said:
                                "Its very complex and he got many suggestions (coding examples). This feature comes when it comes - it takes a lot of time."

Comment

Working...
                                X