Unicode Filenames

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Yennick View Post
    Wait, so if version 4.2 has Unicode support then why is Irfanview still freaking out when I try to open images in my Japanese named image directories?! Seriously, this is getting to be a BIG hassle for me as there is becoming more and more of a need for me to deal with Japanese file names and directories (I'm even running a Japanese install of Windows XP now).

I've loved Irfanview in so many other ways and it has been my viewer of choice but if I can't resolve these issues it's having with Japanese file names I'm going to have to move to another image browser. Speaking of which, does anyone else here know of some good image browsers that DO have full Japanese support?
    This is not true. Before you complain, check it yourself first. 95% of software issues are caused by users' themselves

After install, you must enable it as follows :-

Options -- Properties/Settings -- Misc 1 -- check on "Use Unicode Plugin (at program start)

Wonder why it is not enabled by default since this is a BIG breakthrough for this version.

Comment

Hi nanana1,

Originally posted by nanana1 View Post
      After install, you must enable it as follows :-

Options -- Properties/Settings -- Misc 1 -- check on "Use Unicode Plugin (at program start)
      I confirm it works so.

Wonder why it is not enabled by default since this is a BIG breakthrough for this version.
      Maybe for those who havn't installed the plug-in.

Laurent
      Before you post ... fill in your OS and IV version in your profile.

Comment

Originally posted by Laurent View Post

Laurent
        I thought the plug-in is installed by default.
        But it is also not enabled by default.
        I wonder why

Comment

That's nuts! Why wouldn't Irfanview just have the Unicode functionality turned on from the get go? I would have thought something like that (a fairly essential function/feature) would come switched on in my fresh install of 4.2 that I had here... but no I guess. Works fine now that I turned it on... but why the hassle of having to turn it on?

P.S. - Just noticed after a little more use here. This resolves me being able to see the images but it doesn't seem to fully support Japanese text yet... as in... I can see the picture in the viewer but the file name is showing up on the top bar as ????????.jpg (all the question marks being Japanese text).
          Last edited by Yennick; 19.07.2008, 09:27 PM.

Comment

Maybe IV would stop working on Win98 with the option on?

Seriously guys, have do you recover your Japanese/Chinese whatever files using a boot CD? Or how do you send them over a network? It's madness.

Comment

That's nuts! Why wouldn't Irfanview just have the Unicode functionality turned on from the get go? I would have thought something like that (a fairly essential function/feature) would come switched on in my fresh install of 4.2 that I had here... but no I guess. Works fine now that I turned it on... but why the hassle of having to turn it on?
              You got it working fine is all that matters now for this gem of a freeware software. No sweat over nuts !

P.S. - Just noticed after a little more use here. This resolves me being able to see the images but it doesn't seem to fully support Japanese text yet... as in... I can see the picture in the viewer but the file name is showing up on the top bar as ????????.jpg (all the question marks being Japanese text).
              This is the first version with Unicode support. Hopefully, more development might resolve this ???????.jpg issue you are concerned with. Will you support it with some cash donation or registerng this software.

Comment

That's nuts! Why wouldn't Irfanview just have the Unicode functionality turned on from the get go?
                If you had bothered reading the first line of the changelog you wouldn't have missed this functionality.

About the question marks, Irfan has indicated in the changelog that Unicode support is basic for the moment. It will certainly be improved in the future, but the most important feature was to simply be able to load pictures in the viewer without changing the filenames. It's better than nothing.

Offensive comment removed. Before you post … please read this again.
                Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 23.07.2008, 05:13 AM.
                Core 2 Quad Q9600 3.4 GHz | Radeon RX 280X 3 GB | DDR2 8.0 GB | Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit | IrfanView 4.51

Comment

Excellent news. Even it is still basic being able to view files without wasting time renaming them is a big relief. Thanks

Originally posted by Laurent View Post

Laurent
                  So why it isnt enabled automatically after installing the plugin. I cant think a reason for someone to think "I love and prefer getting an error message instead of viewing a unicode named file after double clicking on it"

Comment

Right on. Embedding Unicode in a program is a hell of a job. Even the maker of TC is still working on it.
                    Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Irfan Skiljan is aware of this issue, and is planning to implement it when he can. This is his most recent response:

For the big things on the TODO list: I will first try to fix the Paint plugin crashes (on some systems), then try to port IrfanView to unicode ... they are very important things, important for many users.
                      Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 20.06.2016, 02:06 PM.
                      Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Working...
                      X