No announcement yet.

Time to stay logged in - too short

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yep, the Fox eats the cookies at my order.
    I don't mind a few extra mouse-clicks. But I'm not talking about logging in. I'm talking about being shut off without me wanting to.
    I still don't see the connection with a cookie. It's still there, because my browser is on, because I'm visiting this forum..
    It's just a matter of the set time-duration of non-activity before being shut off.
    Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Originally posted by steve View Post
      Hi guys,
      yeah - the "session timeout" is 900 seconds (15 minutes).
      What timeout should i choose ?
      steve
      Why not let each user choose their own timeout? Some people, including me, are permanently online, and we also want to login to our preferred forums no more than once a day. Or once a week

So what if I did not browse the forum for 20+ hours?
      I still have the page open in my Maxthon, but did my inactivity pose any problem to the forum engine? I dont think so, that's why i'd like to see an option for how long I want to stay logged in.
      Other forums I've seen do have that.

If you really need to know whether a user is active or not, i think a script could resolve that to the status of Logged-In-but-Idle, or somthing similar.

Comment

Hokay, here's Matera the Mad's favorite cookie recipe, everyone take notes now . If you want to stay logged in, tick the "Remember me" box. Then make sure your IV forum cookies don't get wiped out. You get a different cookie according to whether you choose to be "remembered" or not. The "not remembered" cookie expires in the set time. The "remembered" cookie never crumbles (lol), the forum sniffs it and says, "Oh, yeah, you're back again." If you lose the cookie, you have to log in next time anyway, but at least you are in until you close your browser.

Cookies changed recently, giving me a rude surprise. I had to revise my good-cookie list. My cookies are all in one text file (Mozilla style) so I use a text extraction program to "clean" it, taking out all but the ones I keep. Not everybody's cuppa tea!
        Easier cookie tools:

Tool for Windows to view, export, and delete the cookies of Firefox Web browser

Nir Sofer, author of the handy cookie managers and lots of other excellent tools, has been plagued with freeware pirates too - there is a site selling his software on a CD. Read the article -
        Its: Belongs to "It"
        It's: Shortened form of "It is"
        ---------------------
        Lose: Fail to keep
        Loose: Not tight

---------------------
        Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

@matera: LOL, i just noticed your motto/signature
          I am a linguist professionally, but bad things stick so easy on good people you know... "dont, cant, coz" are regular here too

Oh, thanks for the tip!

Comment

Hi,

i´m sorry, but the forum software does not allow to choose the timeout time for every single user.

steve

Comment

No problem anymore. Matera the Mad's favorite cookie recipe works very smooth.
              Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Originally posted by Sam_Zen View Post
                No problem anymore. Matera the Mad's favorite cookie recipe works very smooth.
                Indeed, now it's been a week since i last had to log in, and i'm getting worried not to forget my pass and ID, for lack of refreshing my memory.

Comment

If your browser remembers the ID/PW, it's sufficient to paste the ID string, then Tab and enter.
                  Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

I cheered too early. I can stay logged in with the 'remember me' trick, but I still loose all the not-yet-read indicators on the forum after some minutes.
                    Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Mmm...that sometimes happens to me, and sometimes doesn't. Maybe the cookies crumble if the weather is too damp
                      Its: Belongs to "It"
                      It's: Shortened form of "It is"
                      ---------------------
                      Lose: Fail to keep
                      Loose: Not tight

---------------------
                      Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

Yep, indeed sometimes not, sometimes yes. Maybe the damp has some percentage..
                        Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

I want to pay attention to this issue again.
                          I still find it very annoying to loose the 'not-yet-read' indicators in the main forum, while I'm working on some answer to a thread.
                          Normally in the forum I go from one category to another in a visit-session, But sometimes I have to test something, or search for some data in my archive, so a final thread-reply could take some 15 minutes.
                          But in the meantime, the next threads I still have to check as 'new', have lost their indicator.
                          Of course I still can manage, but I'm forced to check the date of each thread in a forum.
                          Since the indicator-state is turned off after a certain period in the script, I suppose this can be changed.
                          Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Working...
                          X