Thumbnail Crash on Dual Core fixed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi ChuckE,

it can put the compiled script on my website for download, but there is a little problem: some virus scanner will recognize AutoHotKey or AutoIt files as a virus because these two compilers have the ability to use file up- and downloads. If there is a better way to compile a command script - which is the only thing I need for this - this is also possible.

But this is still a workaround and I agree, it would be better if this get fixed in the original i_view.

Regards, Nils.

Comment

thumbnail crash with dual core

Dear Irfan

Thanks for your great program. I have been using it as my standard image browser for many years and encountered this thumbnail crash problem, when I upgraded my motherboard with an AMD Opteron 185 dual core processor. I was convinced something had to be wrong with my system, untill I found this thread, but could only see Intel processors mentioned, so the purpose of this post is only to report that the same thing happens with AMD dual cores, since I can´t offer any solutions. I appreciate the experiments with creating single core workarounds, but it also sort of defeats the purpose of dual core processors so I don´t really think it qualifies as a "fix" Adobe Bridge and Nikon View 6 still work fine with my new processor, so I´m hoping it´s going to be possible to adapt Irfanview.

Comment

Originally posted by itm View Post
        I have the same problem on a Core2Duo E6600 .
        Discovered forum today in search of a fix to this very same problem. I frequently use thumbnails for batch file conversion/renaming and until building this duo core PC I have never had even a hint of temprement with several versions of Irfan View. Now Irfan View crashes all the time. Furthermore, if I boot into either XP or Vista, I still get the problem so it seems to be hardware related rather than a Windows OS clash.

I do hope that the software team can identify the cause of this problem and fix it in a release.
        Dual-boot:
        Windows Vista Home Premium
        Windows XP Home
        INTEL E6600 Core 2 Duo 1066 Mhz fsb
        Motherboard Gigabyte GA-P35C-DS3R
        System Memory 4Gb (DDR2 SDRAM)
        Video Adapter Gigabyte GeForce 8600 GTS
        Monitor LG M1917TM(Digital)
        1x SATA HDD 200GB
        1 x ATA IDE HDD 150GB
        1 x Maxtor 400GB external USB drive for backups.
        LG DVDRAM GSA-4081B
        Network Adapter Realtek 8111B
        Audio Realtek ALC889A codec
        Printer HP 8250 Photosmart

Comment

"the software team" .

You mean Irfan?
          I wish to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather.
          Not like those passengers, in his car, when he drove over that cliff.

Comment

Worked around that problem using pstools

Hi,
            with the sysinternals pstools (just google that pair) comes the psexec.exe utility. Putting this
            somewhere in the search path you can edit the IrfanView shortcut (Desktop or Start Menu or ...) to use the following executable

psexec -d -a 1 C:\Programme\IrfanView\i_view32.exe /thumbs

where "-a 1" assigns cpu 1 and the original executable is in "C:\Programme..."

Just change this to your values. The "-d" option ends the psexec itself immediately. Have a look into the task manager process affinity. Only CPU 1 should be checked for process i_view32.exe. That's it.

My system is win xp sp2 all updates, Irfanview 4.10, AMD Athlon64 X2 5200+

Continue enjoying Irfan!

Ch.

Comment

Not perfect, but better

Well, it still crashes with me, but it was somewhat less prone so.
              Then, with slight modification of your suggestion I was able to make it even more stable, crashing less yet.

First, I don't use a shortcut directly to the Thumbnails, as whenever I want to get to the Thumbs I just press the "T" key.
              But I do use a quick keyboard shortcut to the main IrfanView window, and that is where I edited the target startup line.

That way, since IrfanView (main) is using a single processor, calling up the Thumbnail window also uses the same single processor.

What I found out, though, was that using Processor "1" was less stable than using Processor "0" so here is what I found to work better for me.

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\psexec.exe -d -a 0 "C:\Program Files\IrfanView\i_view32.exe"

Thanks for the lead. After trying a lot of Thumbnail folder switching, where I had noticed my crashing, using Processor 0 vs 1 got me easily twice the reliability, and MUCH better than not specifying a single processor at all.
              Last edited by ChuckE; 22.01.2008, 09:39 PM. Reason: Correcting the English

Comment

Thanks to christoffer and ChuckE for their posts

Laurent
                Before you post ... fill in your OS and IV version in your profile.

Comment

Believe me, it was all christoffer, and I thank him/her.

Comment

Working...
                  X